Sam Fadala

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read Sam Fadala's "Black Powder Handbook" (1979 edition) in or around 1981. He is the one who first got me into side-lock rifles. I learned a lot about rifles in general and muzzleloaders in particular from his books. Due to his writing, I bought my first muzzleloader, a T/C .54 Renegade, Flintlock in 1983 and a T/C Hawken not too long afterward. If I remember correctly, he thought the Lyman was a better rife than T/C. I don't know if that was true. I only own 1 Lyman and it's a Pedersoli version.
I owe a lot to him.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I can fully agree in Lyman being better than TC but don’t disagree either. I have a TC .36 Seneca and .50 cal. Gray Hawk and a Lyman Plans Pistol (pictured). I like them all but did have to do some minor stock sanding, staining/finishing on the Lyman to get it like I wanted.
I fully agree on the wealth of good information I got from Sam Fadala!

Attachments

• 1AD0BB3F-67A1-4443-938C-C1AA66AC627C.jpeg
    1AD0BB3F-67A1-4443-938C-C1AA66AC627C.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 0
I read Sam Fadala's "Black Powder Handbook" (1979 edition) in or around 1981. He is the one who first got me into side-lock rifles. I learned a lot about rifles in general and muzzleloaders in particular from his books. Due to his writing, I bought my first muzzleloader, a T/C .54 Renegade, Flintlock in 1983 and a T/C Hawken not too long afterward. If I remember correctly, he thought the Lyman was a better rife than T/C. I don't know if that was true. I only own 1 Lyman and it's a Pedersoli version.
I owe a lot to him.
I agree - Sam Fadala's writings on black powder and traditional archery are worthwhile reading for anyone who is serious about either pursuit. I have the 5th edition of his black powder handbook, and his traditional archery handbook as well.

Back