Savage 10MLll

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 of these . They are both are accutriggers . I contacted Savage by email 6 weeks ago . Still no reply . I gave them the serial numbers hoping for an answer to the action screw spacing . I put 2 screws in the 2 action holes adjusthem to the same height & used a digital caliper with the outside measurement points placed in the center of each Allen screw head . I keep coming up with 4.116”. I need some input on the 3 measurements that Savage used on action screw spacing . I had one of the firearms glassbedded & new pillars put in . Ever since I had this done I can not get the weapon to zero . Windage is perfect but I run out of elevation clicks even at 25 yards it is still a foot low with no clicks left . I have tried different rings 6 different scopes 5 different bases all with the same results . I even tried the scopes on a different firearm & was able to zero everyone of them . The Savage was fine until I had the work done . My simple mind with simple logic tells me that the fit relationship between stock & barreled action is causing the problem . To much downward pressure on the muzzle end or basically to high in the action end . It seems that the glass bedding might be the culprit to much height in the back pushing the front down so far that no scope regardless of how many elevation clicks it has can adjust out the difference . So I thought I would get a new laminate stock from Boyd’s & go from there . Ergo the need for action screw spacing . Suggestions for a confused Vietnam Veteran that is weapon mechanism oriented . I should have left it alone but was trying to tweet out a little more distance accuracy .

Quote Reply

T

I am not saying that Savage will not get back with you but they have pretty much disavowed themselves of their SML. I am unsure they will give any guidance and I think they no longer sell SML replacement parts unless something interchanges with their centerfire parts that you might get. If you mention parts for the SML I think you will be cut off.

Now this is from memory and that could be wrong but I thought there were two lengths of spacings. Most as I recall were 4.27 and some later with 4.40.

I have 2 of these . They are both are accutriggers . I contacted Savage by email 6 weeks ago . Still no reply . I gave them the serial numbers hoping for an answer to the action screw spacing . I put 2 screws in the 2 action holes adjusthem to the same height & used a digital caliper with the outside measurement points placed in the center of each Allen screw head . I keep coming up with 4.116”. I need some input on the 3 measurements that Savage used on action screw spacing . I had one of the firearms glassbedded & new pillars put in . Ever since I had this done I can not get the weapon to zero . Windage is perfect but I run out of elevation clicks even at 25 yards it is still a foot low with no clicks left . I have tried different rings 6 different scopes 5 different bases all with the same results . I even tried the scopes on a different firearm & was able to zero everyone of them . The Savage was fine until I had the work done . My simple mind with simple logic tells me that the fit relationship between stock & barreled action is causing the problem . To much downward pressure on the muzzle end or basically to high in the action end . It seems that the glass bedding might be the culprit to much height in the back pushing the front down so far that no scope regardless of how many elevation clicks it has can adjust out the difference . So I thought I would get a new laminate stock from Boyd’s & go from there . Ergo the need for action screw spacing . Suggestions for a confused Vietnam Veteran that is weapon mechanism oriented . I should have left it alone but was trying to tweet out a little more distance accuracy .

Quote Reply

T
Measure outside of the screws when they’re installed and the deduct the diameter of one screw. Far more accurate than trying to eyeball center of the hole. If the screws are different diameters, do the same thing but, measure both screws add the diameters, divide by two, and deduct that amount. Use the large part of the caliper so the thin section at the tip doesn’t drop into a thread.

I am not saying that Savage will not get back with you but they have pretty much disavowed themselves of their SML. I am unsure they will give any guidance and I think they no longer sell SML replacement parts unless something interchanges with their centerfire parts that you might get. If you mention parts for the SML I think you will be cut off.
Why has Savage disavowed themselves from the SML?

[QUOTE="Chick, post: 330946, member: 8690"Take your caliper and measure the tapped holes spacing from outside of one to the inside of the other and that is your center...
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Chick, post: 330946, member: 8690"Take your caliper and measure the tapped holes spacing from outside of one to the inside of the other and that is your center...
Jims is right there are two spacing..I replaces a tephlon stock with a Boyd’s on both of my Amos measured my spacing as I explained above and both stock (thumb holes)were spot on ...!!!
[/QUOTE]

Chick: I can only speculate. Some guns were double loaded and had damage. Much less likely in a handloaded centerfire because of case capacity unless the wrong powder is used. Not a great enough percentage of their business and disproportionate amount of damage issues is my guess. Just easier to walk away from it for them and discontinue parts support etc. Unless aftermarket items are produced the old MLIIs etc. just could die on the vine. Even if troubles with aftermarket replacement parts one could say it was not a factory Savage part or problem.
Also some changes in management etc. and they may have viewed things differently.
Now these are opinions at best but what some feel.

It is more difficult to make a muzzleloader idiot-proof.

The Savage 10ML is a great rifle if used as designed.
However, it only takes a moment for a shooter to get distracted and load an extra bullet on top of the one already loaded.
This is a recipe for disaster with smokeless powder.

When a barrel comes apart because of human error it is much easier for some people to blame the manufacturer.

ttrails, did your original scope mount clear the top of the recoil lug, but that now is not the case? Several of us had a problem with the front of the front scope mount sitting ON TOP of the ring of the recoil lug. That causes the front of the scope to raise higher, so you now lower the scope to be on the bulls eye. This was the case with mine new out of the box. When scope adjustment was high as it would go, I was still 10" low at 25yds. Savage should never have made such a problem by making the O.D. of the ring larger than the O.D. of the receiver! I have a couple model 12's with the same problem but already knew what to do because of the problem with the 10mlII.
If you find that the front end your scope base sits on top of that ring of the recoil lug when mounted, either file or dremel relief until it completely sits FLAT on the receiver, clearing that ring.

Make sure your front base screw isn't too long as it will hit the barrel tenon threads. I had the trouble Danno posted and also too long of front base screw when I owned one.

Latest posts

Back