Savage 301 20 gauge turkey gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the Stevens 20 ga. Then I started looking around at the semi autos, I'm more of a semi auto kinda guy. First was looking at the SA 20 turkey gun but then I saw the SA 28 youth. I was looking for something with less recoil than my 11-87 12 ga. When I saw the SA 28 I thought that might be my answer.

I saw the Stevens 20 ga. Then I started looking around at the semi autos, I'm more of a semi auto kinda guy. First was looking at the SA 20 turkey gun but then I saw the SA 28 youth. I was looking for something with less recoil than my 11-87 12 ga. When I saw the SA 28 I thought that might be my answer.
I’ve talked to a few guys who have had issues with theirs not cycling good. Something g about the gas port not big enough? Mine has run flawless

I was looking at the foxtrotammo site last night. I saw the 301 410 with the scope. I got a new Bushnell 1.75 - 4, I could mount on one. I like them both the SA28 and 301 410.

I was looking at the foxtrotammo site last night. I saw the 301 410 with the scope. I got a new Bushnell 1.75 - 4, I could mount on one. I like them both the SA28 and 301 410.
As far as 410’s go I really like the bps and the mossberg pumps. I have one single shot and it’s the NEW turkey old school. For a 410 I would want a quick follow up shot

As far as 410’s go I really like the bps and the mossberg pumps. I have one single shot and it’s the NEW turkey old school. For a 410 I would want a quick follow up shot
It does seem like the 28 is more forgiving than the 410.

LOL....
Did you do any barrel polishing to the 28 ga?
None. I did clean it initially and just bore snaked between shots. Odd thing is with these you don’t want to clean or polish. You can see a major difference in patterns when clean. They love to be shot dirty

The more I read about the 28 the more I like it. I need to go and get my hands on one.

The more I read about the 28 the more I like it. I need to go and get my hands on one.
You’ll love it. I plan on selling mine after I get it cerakoted and stocks camoed. Then I’m gonna buy the Beretta Outlander lightweight 28ga

My sister used a old Savage Double and my wife a Rem 870 with select chokes. They shot many a turkey for about twenty years and both guns were 20ga. Myself still using a Fulton Hunter 16ga.

Have you ever shot a load of 10s in the 28?
For testing purposes only. 10’s serve a purpose and that to me is for the 410 only. it’s not a Kong range shot size which is perfect for the 410. In a 28ga it’s just more holes in paper.

Back