Savage alert, new owners please read.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Search RBinAR for a plethora of sml info. Here and on Doug's Message Boards.

I've owned four 10ML's. Still have one that I changed to a 45.
Everyone of them shot excellent. By that I mean a maximum of 1.5 moa.
Started with 250 XTP's ( non mag) then FTX's. And other brands.
But those two did the number on game and inexpensive.
Pretty much always used 5744. Never had any issues and was not overly concerned about hyper velocity.
Fun thing about front end loaders is every load is a "handload" LOL

Most Savage 10 /110 action screws should work. Depending on stock may have to adjust length.
What is RBinAR I can work out most things but this time I'm a bit lost.

I really appreciate the input from guys on this site. There's so much knowledge and that's really helpful to someone like me who's a relative newbie. My choice for loads was made upon availability. I wanted a load that was a Savage recipe. I didn't want to spend a fortune on pre packaged bullet / Sabot combinations. I wanted to buy in bulk and that's tough right now in Canada. I found one box of the XTP and managed to get a couple of boxes of the XTP MAG. I got 2015 powder and MMP Black sabots from Badger Ridge. Once it warms up a little I think that I am good to go. I'm making notes of all of the advice that I am getting so that I have something to move onto if I need. Thanks so much to all of you.

The Mag version of XTPs are much harder than the regular versions. They don’t obturate well and leave a 45 cal hole on both sides of a deer. Accuracy is compromised with the Mag version.

RBinAR was Rick Bibby from Texarkana, AR. He pased away around 10 years ago. He was a/the pioneer of converting 10ML2s to 45 cal PacNors and started promoting the use of duplex loads.

I see more and more people on the Internet getting rid of Savages and buying Encores because they cant get them to shoot. That is so crazy. The Savage can be so simple if you are patient. Savage has done all the work for you. Start out using Savage recommended powders at NO more then 42grns by weight. I suggest 40grns starting out.

Keep your bullet choices between two starting out. The 250grn SST and the 250grn XTP. These two bullets have been proven shooters in the Savage.

Keep your sabot choices to two as well. The short black MMP sabot and the Harvester sabots that say for 300grn bullets or less.

Start out using Winchester primers. They are all you will ever need.

The Breech plug in the Savage is the trick to really enjoying your Savage. You must keep the flame channel clean. Dont buy into every 100shots. Every 25 to 30 shots take the plug out and clean it. This will consist of drilling out the carbon in the flame channel and replacing the vent-liner. Use only factory supplied vent-liners. Make sure to grease the threads on the vent-liner and the breech plug before putting back together. Also keep in mind, with smokeless powder the plug needs to be tight in the muzzleloader. With 777 guns it's pretty much just put in finger tight. In the Savage, the tighter the better. ( Within reason)

Another very important step is Patience. When the temp is above 60 degrees wait 5 to 10 minutes between shots. You dont want your barrel getting hot at all. This will make your Savage shoot very poorly.

Stick to the basics and you will love your new Savage. 😉

After a couple years of shooting and getting familiar with your Savage. There are other powders and bullets you can try to push the envelope to your liking. :)
Sounds to me like a lot of conditions to get it to shoot good

What is RBinAR I can work out most things but this time I'm a bit lost.

I really appreciate the input from guys on this site. There's so much knowledge and that's really helpful to someone like me who's a relative newbie. My choice for loads was made upon availability. I wanted a load that was a Savage recipe. I didn't want to spend a fortune on pre packaged bullet / Sabot combinations. I wanted to buy in bulk and that's tough right now in Canada. I found one box of the XTP and managed to get a couple of boxes of the XTP MAG. I got 2015 powder and MMP Black sabots from Badger Ridge. Once it warms up a little I think that I am good to go. I'm making notes of all of the advice that I am getting so that I have something to move onto if I need. Thanks so much to all of you.
RBinAR was Rick Bibby's username on Dougs Message Board. He was the first guy to make a .40 cal. smokeless muzzleloader. He also converted T/C Encore 45/70 bbl with a breechplug to shoot 45 cal muzzleloader. In my opinion, he helped pioneer the smokeless muzzleloaders as we know it. He passed away around 2010 or so.

Back