Savage alert, new owners please read.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following data from Randy Wakeman should be very helpful to new Savage ML shooters.

I use 70 grains of Accurate 2015 with the 325 grain Hornady .458 diameter bullet in the Orange sabot in several different 50 caliber rifles. The pressure is under 25,000 psi. You get good velocity with low pressure, which is what we should be looking for.

Low Pressure smokeless load for Savage 10ML-II rifles: https://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_accuracy_loads.htm

Randy was on this board for quite some time. Personally i would use 4198 or Re7 over 2015 for a 325gr bullet. 70gr of 2015 only gives you about 2200fps. You can get slightly more than that with 65gr of Re7.

Last edited:
Randy was on this board for quite some time. Personally i would use 4198 or Re7 over 2015 for a 325gr bullet. 70gr of 2015 only gives you about 2200fps. You can get slightly more than that with 65gr of Re7.

I have been using the same load in some of my Remington 700ML 209 conversions, because of the lower pressure.
It also works in the Remington 700UML.

63gr Re7 is also quite low peak pressure. Very easy on sabots. That gets you about 2100-2150fps with a 300gr. A max load of N120 is only 34kpsi and many find just using about 58gr is more than adequate. It will also easily match 70gr of 2015 in speed. In my NULA i get over 2400fps with 58gr of N120 with a 275gr in a 26" barrel. Its another excellent powder for the 300gr class of bullets. Its just hard to get at times.

It also works in the Remington 700UML.

Not without a new barrel and breach plug it wont. At least not here because its not a smokeless rated barrel. Smokeless topics here are only for rifles that are rated for smokeless. So please dont post or discuss the use of smokeless in "black powder only" barrels.

63gr Re7 is also quite low peak pressure. Very easy on sabots. That gets you about 2100-2150fps with a 300gr. A max load of N120 is only 34kpsi and many find just using about 58gr is more than adequate. It will also easily match 70gr of 2015 in speed. In my NULA i get over 2400fps with 58gr of N120 with a 275gr in a 26" barrel. Its another excellent powder for the 300gr class of bullets. Its just hard to get at times.

Not without a new barrel and breach plug it wont. At least not here because its not a smokeless rated barrel. Smokeless topics here are only for rifles that are rated for smokeless. So please dont post or discuss the use of smokeless in "black powder only" barrels.

Breechplug and bolthead were converted to 209.

Would that discussion include Blackhorn209, which is also a form of smokeless powder?

Please read the description at the top of this section of the forum.
Loads, tips, and shooting for the Savage muzzleloader, SMI smokeless and other muzzleloaders approved for smokeless ONLY. Warning! Smokeless powder loads are not for use in any other muzzleloaders.

BH209 is an approved sub in many MLs and SMLs. The Savage ML-BP was one of the first to mention it by name IIRC. So its not relevant if its nitro based or not as far as the forum rules are concerned. If the barrel has "black powder only" or something similar on it, all smokeless loads will be removed and a warning issued.

Please read the description at the top of this section of the forum.
Loads, tips, and shooting for the Savage muzzleloader, SMI smokeless and other muzzleloaders approved for smokeless ONLY. Warning! Smokeless powder loads are not for use in any other muzzleloaders.

BH209 is an approved sub in many MLs and SMLs. The Savage ML-BP was one of the first to mention it by name IIRC. So its not relevant if its nitro based or not as far as the forum rules are concerned. If the barrel has "black powder only" or something similar on it, all smokeless loads will be removed and a warning issued.

Do you know the pressure rating on "black powder only" barrels?

What i know is not relevant. Rules are the rules here. There are other places you can talk about using those powders in rifles not rated to use them. Its not allowed here in the open forum. What people discuss in private is not my concern. It is not up for debate...period.

Bought my Savage when they first came out in the early 2000s,joined Dougs message boards where a lot of guy's were all just starting out trying all kinds of of powder, Lil gun was a big one with using the cut off wad cups from 20 ga shotgun wads to contain the pressure, sabots were way different back then. There was guy's trying 3 different powders in the same load, it was a learning experience for all of us and some really pushed it. Unfortunately heat is the enemy of plastic so you have to let your barrel cool down between shots either by waiting or using a brass cooling rod. Killed a boat load of deer with a 300 gr SST. Have since switched to a sabotless Badbull, just load and shoot. Savage is a great gun once you understand how it works.

Last edited:
I see more and more people on the Internet getting rid of Savages and buying Encores because they cant get them to shoot. That is so crazy. The Savage can be so simple if you are patient. Savage has done all the work for you. Start out using Savage recommended powders at NO more then 42grns by weight. I suggest 40grns starting out.

Keep your bullet choices between two starting out. The 250grn SST and the 250grn XTP. These two bullets have been proven shooters in the Savage.

Keep your sabot choices to two as well. The short black MMP sabot and the Harvester sabots that say for 300grn bullets or less.

Start out using Winchester primers. They are all you will ever need.

The Breech plug in the Savage is the trick to really enjoying your Savage. You must keep the flame channel clean. Dont buy into every 100shots. Every 25 to 30 shots take the plug out and clean it. This will consist of drilling out the carbon in the flame channel and replacing the vent-liner. Use only factory supplied vent-liners. Make sure to grease the threads on the vent-liner and the breech plug before putting back together. Also keep in mind, with smokeless powder the plug needs to be tight in the muzzleloader. With 777 guns it's pretty much just put in finger tight. In the Savage, the tighter the better. ( Within reason)

Another very important step is Patience. When the temp is above 60 degrees wait 5 to 10 minutes between shots. You dont want your barrel getting hot at all. This will make your Savage shoot very poorly.

Stick to the basics and you will love your new Savage. 😉

After a couple years of shooting and getting familiar with your Savage. There are other powders and bullets you can try to push the envelope to your liking. :)
I know this is an old post but it was a light bulb going off for me. Segg.

I recently picked up a 10 ml2 in really good condition. I haven't had chance to shoot it yet but I've gone with one of Savages approved loads using 2015 with 300gr XTP & MP Black sabots with W209 primers. I did so because I don't know enough to experiment with powders. I chose the 2015 because of the lower pressures and I found a limited source for the Hornady 300 XTP.

I'm not sure of the difference .452 300gr XTP and .452 XTP MAG in terms of their use. All the information that I have found tells ne that the XTP MAG wont expand properly at less than 2200fps, slightly outside of my predicted velocity. Perhaps someone who knows a whole lot more than me could give some input.

Also, Someone has messed up the front and rear mounting bolts presumably by using the wrong Allen wrench. Does anybody know where I can get replacements please.

Thanks for your help ..

Also, Someone has messed up the front and rear mounting bolts presumably by using the wrong Allen wrench. Does anybody know where I can get replacements please.
Try a local hardware store. Im in a small town and the springs, bolts, nuts, washers, they have are incredible. Just have to keep looking from drawer to drawer until you find what you need. Then get a couple extra.

I think Arrowhead has the screws. I always thought 2015 and 5744 were very dirty powders. Reloader 7 is a little dirty but is very sabot friendly and will perform well with 300gr bullets. As far as the xtp mag the base is a little more rounded/not a sharp transition than a regular xtp and usually doesn't give quite the accuracy as regular xtp. I think if you put either one in the vitals of a deer it is going to die. There are other viable powders (if you can find them).

I recently picked up a 10 ml2 in really good condition. I haven't had chance to shoot it yet but I've gone with one of Savages approved loads using 2015 with 300gr XTP & MP Black sabots with W209 primers. I did so because I don't know enough to experiment with powders. I chose the 2015 because of the lower pressures and I found a limited source for the Hornady 300 XTP.

I'm not sure of the difference .452 300gr XTP and .452 XTP MAG in terms of their use. All the information that I have found tells ne that the XTP MAG wont expand properly at less than 2200fps, slightly outside of my predicted velocity. Perhaps someone who knows a whole lot more than me could give some input.

Thanks for your help ..

The 325 grain .458 diameter Hornady bullet, with 70 grains of Acc 2015 has worked for me in the Orange MMP sabots.

I would try Brownells.com first. Then Gun Parts Corp. second. Then Ebay.

If that does not work let me know.

I believe the screws for most of the Savage 110 rifles should work.
Sometimes you have to shorten the front screw just a little.

I think Arrowhead has the screws. I always thought 2015 and 5744 were very dirty powders. Reloader 7 is a little dirty but is very sabot friendly and will perform well with 300gr bullets. As far as the xtp mag the base is a little more rounded/not a sharp transition than a regular xtp and usually doesn't give quite the accuracy as regular xtp. I think if you put either one in the vitals of a deer it is going to die. There are other viable powders (if you can find them).
I looked at Arrowhead and I really like his work but the two bolts are over $50 with shipping. I’m looking at his LMRP conversations but figured I’d try the gun as it was made to see how I get on. Learn to work with what I have.
I managed to pick up 100 of the MAG and 50 of the regular XTP 300gr .452 which will get me going. I’m grateful for what I have because everywhere I look I see the words sold out. Thanks for your input. Really appreciated

The 325 grain .458 diameter Hornady bullet, with 70 grains of Acc 2015 has worked for me in the Orange MMP sabots.

I would try Brownells.com first. Then Gun Parts Corp. second. Then Ebay.

If that does not work let me know.

I believe the screws for most of the Savage 110 rifles should work.
Sometimes you have to shorten the front screw just a little.

Thanks

Search RBinAR for a plethora of sml info. Here and on Doug's Message Boards.

I've owned four 10ML's. Still have one that I changed to a 45.
Everyone of them shot excellent. By that I mean a maximum of 1.5 moa.
Started with 250 XTP's ( non mag) then FTX's. And other brands.
But those two did the number on game and inexpensive.
Pretty much always used 5744. Never had any issues and was not overly concerned about hyper velocity.
Fun thing about front end loaders is every load is a "handload" LOL

Most Savage 10 /110 action screws should work. Depending on stock may have to adjust length.

Back