Savage Axis 22-250 $198

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have one custom 22-250 & have been looking for a lower cost companion, share ammo, etc.. I was looking used then saw the Axis marked down at Walmart, if they had them in stock. My local had the 243 & 22-250, didn’t notice others.

So far I opened up the channel in the stock some, touching on one side. I then gave it some trigger adjustment. There are low cost spring kits available, $10, but my eBay seller is slow. I cut 1.5 coils & am at just under 3 lbs on my gage. I had a small washer to ‘shim’ the trigger too.

It came with Weaver bases. I mounted a modest scope & am ready for testing. I loaded up some 52 grain Sierra Match bullets, the some 63 grain Sierra ‘semi-pointed’ soft points. I also have a bunch of 50 grn V-Max ammo around.

I normally test in the backyard, with this Covid more of the neighbors are home though. If not soon I have a camp trip mid-May that would work. I used the ‘brickseek’ site to check local Walmart inventory, fairly accurate.

Back