Savage Loads-Please list your best loads.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Kremer passed away about 6 weeks ago. The old shop is now Grand Lake Guns, llc.

My load for my bone stock 10MLII is 47 gr xmp 5744, MMP black sabot, hornady 250gr xtp. Im sure there are better loads out there but this was one that Henry Ball sent me via email when I first got my savage, way back before all the new ideas and innovations and IT JUST PLAIN WORKS!

Mine shoots well w/ 43.0gr 4759 and a 290gr Barnes TEZ in a black short rib sabot.
BUT, loads very easily and bullet/sabot sometimes comes unseated. Any suggestions on a slightly thicker sabot that would still be considered high pressure?

In a Savage10ML ,,,,,should say my Savages that I’ve owned past and present.
Been using 43gr AA 5744 for years and MMP HPH 12’s or 24’s (whatever fit) AA5744 had been easy to find ( not so nowadays) and inexpensive.
I hear about 5744 being dirty. Never worried about it. Maybe if repetitive paper punching.
One or two shots during deer season,,, dirty ? NP
Started initially using the 250 gr XTP’s. And they grouped well. Stopped using them due to extreme meat damage. But they did work.
Went to FTX’s still using MMP’s .Been happy ever since with them.
Not using the 50’s so much anymore.Now and then.It still performs well.
Went the smooth 45 route. Easier.

Last edited:
gle3105- What weight and diameter FTX are you using, and with what powder charge? I use mostly FTX bullets when reloading for my big bore pistols and also for my Henry 45/70 so I have a variety.

Deer load: AA5744/44GR/ 250 .452 / red harvester sabot / 1"

Bigger game: RL/7 / 63GR / 300 SSP barnes original .458 / harvester black sabot / 1.3"

72 grains of RL7 w/ the BCR sabot and 250 monoflex.458 diam. sub inch. Drops 5 inches at 200 yds with 1 inch high sight in at 100 yds.

The .451 diam 250 FTX and the red Harvester sabot also shoot the same with that charge.

The Re7 63gr with a 300gr bullet is more or less the...."Hey try this load" if your Savage wont shoot...........And it worked for lots of us. Great powder if you dont mind it being a tad dirty.

57grns N120 with either a Barnes 300gr Original Spitzer with an orange MMP sabot or a Fury 300gr star tip with a short black MMP sabot. Inch groups at 100 yrds with either combination.

I use 45 grains of AA5744 behind a 300 grain XTP in a MMP black sabot. This is in a stone stock ML-II. It shoots pretty well.
However as another poster said, I have kind of moved on from the stock ML-II, and haven't shot it in awhile.
First, I got a custom rifle made from a ML-II action. It is 45 cal. and uses sabots. Or at least that's what I did, as that was all I knew at the time.
Then I moved up to a 45 cal bullet-to-bore Encore barrel from Arrowhead Rifles.
Then I built my own 45 cal B-B bolt gun from a Stolle Atlas receiver and Brux 29" heavy barrel.
Both B-B rifles will put out a 300 grain bullet at just under 3000 fps and are just amazingly accurate. Sub-MOA for sure out to 300 yards, the longest range I have readily available.

The Re7 63gr with a 300gr bullet is more or less the...."Hey try this load" if your Savage wont shoot...........And it worked for lots of us. Great powder if you dont mind it being a tad dirty.
Its only fun if its dirty....lol. Its IS like 52 grains of 4064 and a 150 grain bullet in the 30-06. shoots great.

In My Savage 10mlii I use 44gr Accurate arms 5744. Hornady. 330gr XTP with te black Harvester sabots 1" groups at 150 yards. Good enough where I hunt in rural southern Ontario..

Latest posts

Back