Savage ML10 parts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is gunna be a problem. You might find a loaner tool but the modules have dried up. There was a guy on Dougs making them be he never replied to the guys that wanted them. That was months ago.

My best advice is bite the bullet and upgrade the barrel and plug. Luke at ASG (a sponsor for this forum) should have all the parts needed. You will end up with a far far better rifle with the new LRMP modules and a Pacnor or Brux barrel.

Last edited:
I think he also sells a 209 bolt head for Savage CFs. The original Savage ML is actually a CF action. Then all you would need is a 209 plug that fits your barrel. No more modules to worry about.

209 bolt head
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/savage-sa-cf-muzzle-loader-209-bolt-head/

The plugs he offers. He does have a full length threaded LRMP plug for Savage (MLII) but im not sure the bolt head size on the original Savage ML. If its .473 then you might be in luck if the plug fits.
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product-category/breech-plugs/

You would have to buy his modules and set head space but it might be possible. Sort of a lot of cash though to toss at a factory barrel. Bare 209 primer route would be cheaper IF you can get a plug that would work. MLII plugs and ML plugs have different thread lengths if i recall. Otherwise i think they are sorta similar. Adjusting head space is fairly simple but you might lose the use of the open sights.

Thank you for the info. These might be options I look into. Didnt really want to spend a ton of money on it but if it means getting out and hunting with it I might as well. Thanks again

The original Savage ML is basically a single shot model 10/11/16 action. Locking lugs and all. Its considered a firearm by the ATF. Pretty sure you can install the correct size bolt head (EASY) and the matching CF barrel to make it into a breach loader. So as a higher performance smokeless rifle its a good platform to modify although a Rem700/Rem700UML is a bit better. They have a much larger aftermarket support.

Generally speaking the Savage barrels were not all that great. Not even close to the aftermarket barrels you can get. I have reservations recommending throwing too much money into parts you cant utilize later for a better upgrade. Converting it to a bare 209 bolt head is about the best option if you can get or someone can make you a plug to work with it. Luke sells a plug to work with the aftermarket barrels and the 209 bolt head. The bolt head is a fairly simple install. Its the same as all the Savage bolt heads. Plenty of videos on Youtube how to swap them.

Im not well versed in the original ML specs such as small or large shank and stock bolt spacing. Small shank and the 4.27" spacing would make it far less desirable to upgrade. The MLII came both ways and even a mix of the two. A large shank is 1.1"+ OD so its not too bad. The small is just over an inch. 4.40" stock bolt spacing has many stock options. 4.27" spacing sorta blows. Either shank size can be converted to a nutless barrel which can get you a much larger max OD but smithing costs goes way up also. Its no longer a DIY kinda upgrade.

Call or email Luke. He has a link in the Sponsor Showcase section too. You can send him a private message through the forum. This time of year though is gunna make it harder with the hunting season underway. Bestill is another member worth talking too but ive heard he is booked up on builds. He may know of other options as well.

Come to think of it a newer MLII barrel might fit the original and those are cheap from guys doing 45cal upgrades. MLII barrel, MLII plug and the bare 209 primer bolt head might be the least expensive route if the barrel fits.

Just Tagging onto this old post. I have a Savage Ml10 2 and I'm looking for the long rear action screw. I have a laminated stock so I need the longer screw. The previous owner butchered all of the screws attaching the action to the stock. I got the trigger guard and forward screws from Savage and I tried to get the rear action screw from Arrowhead but luke is out of stock and busy with other stuff. Any ideas where else I can try? I tried Numrich but they have none either. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi there. Thanks for the info but it is to short. The screws come in "Standard" and "long" depending on your stock type. Mine takes the long screws. Normally you can get them from Luke at Arrowhead as Savage no longer make them. However, Arrowhead is out of stock right now and busy with other stuff. Thanks again

You know. I am just being lazy. I should pull out the thread gauge and the micrometer and measure the damn thing. I have enough engineer friends, perhaps I can have a few made.
Thanks for the input

I think I have want you want. Send me a pic and I will see if it matches up. Have breech plugs also.

I’m working right now vaccinating people but this evening I’ll measure the screw that I have and I’ll PM you. Thanks so much for getting in touch.

It's entirely possible to acquire allen head screws the correct size to cut down to length. Bolt supply,
hardware store or farm store in your area should have what is needed.

Latest posts

Back