Savage strikes again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Another morning hunting has come and gone. It was a little chilly this morning but skies were clear and little or no wind. What breeze there was, was out of the south east which is perfect for my set up.
The deer seemed to be crossing a couple hundred yds south of me but a few went by. Two nice does trotted by at about 40 yds and a couple of mulies at about 70 on the other side of me. This was about an hour after I got into my blind. I had considered a head shot on a mulie doe and brought the rifle up. I was shivering by then and couldn't hold steady on her so a little her walk.
Good thing as within 5 minutes saw 2 deer coming towards me. Quick check with the binoculars confirmed they were both whitetail bucks and a good size. Brought the rifle out and glassed them both trying to decide which was better. One had a nice simetrical rack of average size. The other had longer tines but not as many. I opted for the 5 x 5. He kept coming closer but was head on. I wanted a broadside shot and the best he would do was quarter to my left. Time was running out as he looked like he was going to step into the trees. Put the cross hairs on his left front shoulder and squeezed. He disappeared the 2nd buck trotted into the trees. Reloaded just in case(didn't need to) and walked over. He couldn't have gone more that 10 feet. Bullet went in just about his left front shoulder and exited about mid ribs. After I skinned him appears entry was a little bigger than exit.
Entrance wound about 2 inches in diameter. Took out the top of his lungs and nicked his liver, but enough left for me :D to dine on. That's 3 shots taken with the Savage and 3 in the freezer :D
After my hunting partner picked me and my deer up we did a quick check around the pasture. Until now he's been passing on everything. He has 4 mulie doe tags and a whitetail either sex tag. He finally took a mulie doe because it was too stupid to run away.

Here he is

test21013.jpg

And the last thing he saw
test21014.jpg

Nice looking deer. You have a better picture? It's just a tad small.

Looks like a real nice whitetail... From the sounds of things you won't run out of meat this winter.

Nice buck RAF!

I meant to get out and chase some whitetails today, but had too many chores to do before the snow flies. Its hard for me to get serious about whitetails before the first week in November anyway, but seeing the success stories role in is getting my blood flowing!

I picked up sausage from my dad and mine's mulies today....220 pounds and that doesn't include several roasts and all the tenderloins we kept seperate!!

Hows this Patrick
test21013.jpg

HMMM. I tried to reload it and it still comes out small.

I had a second picture but it's not as sharp but here it is.
test21012.jpg

That last one's a bit better. Easier to see the features.

Great job!! What load did you use? Is that frost on the ground? 8)

43 grains of 4759 under a 250 SST and Win primer.

Yup, that's frost. Temperature was -9 C.(that's 16F for our southern friends :D ) Seemed to get colder right around dawn but the adrenilen warms you when you get ready to shoot :)

Latest posts

Back