School me on the Remington ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker12

Reaction score
I have a option to buy an older Rem 700 ML. I see a lot of posts about the ML and RUM but not sure what all the differences are. I am not looking to go smokeless. Just a quality accurate Muzzy. Thanks in advance for looking.

I have 2 of the original Remington 700ml in 50 cal. One blued and one Stainless. Both use #11 caps. Both shoot great. Only problem I've had is that I didn't use the cleaning tube that guides your cleaning rod and covers the action over the trigger mechanism and it got gummed up from cleaning solvent. Result was that sometimes the bolt didn't strike the cap hard enough and it wouldn't snap the cap.

I took it apart cleaned it very well and now either use the guiding rod or clean from the muzzle. No problems since then.

They are a little heavy but its not bad.

Got my RUM a few months ago. So far just shooting paper, but I'm very satisfied with it.
One word of caution would be to not be real quick to go for modifications touted as "Improvements". I went that way and now I'm back to the original configuration. Be aware you will need large rifle magnum primers, which are currently scarce and spendy (like everything else).

I have a option to buy an older Rem 700 ML. I see a lot of posts about the ML and RUM but not sure what all the differences are. I am not looking to go smokeless. Just a quality accurate Muzzy. Thanks in advance for looking.

There are better options even if you were wanting to go smokeless.

I would look first for a T/C Omega...best T/C built other than their side hammers.

Got my RUM a few months ago. So far just shooting paper, but I'm very satisfied with it.
One word of caution would be to not be real quick to go for modifications touted as "Improvements". I went that way and now I'm back to the original configuration. Be aware you will need large rifle magnum primers, which are currently scarce and spendy (like everything else).
Hummmm............. :think: :think:

You're the first of hundreds that has went back to the original configuration that I'm aware of.
If you don't mind, what were your "improvements" and how were they worse than the original configuration?

You're the first of hundreds that has went back to the original configuration that I'm aware of.
If you don't mind, what were your "improvements" and how were they worse than the original configuration?
Don't mean to upset anyone here Encore, but I went for the breechplug conversion on your recommendation and found that when installed, the plug did not allow the bolt to open, which was kind of a pain. When I contacted the seller of this mod, I was told it was the fault of Remington, and instructed to return the plug and assorted parts for a full refund, which I did appreciate. Couple this with the month it took and the problem removing the Remington part, and it added up to something I cannot advise other members here to do.
Again, sorry if this offends.

Don't mean to upset anyone here Encore, but I went for the breechplug conversion on your recommendation and found that when installed, the plug did not allow the bolt to open, which was kind of a pain. When I contacted the seller of this mod, I was told it was the fault of Remington, and instructed to return the plug and assorted parts for a full refund, which I did appreciate. Couple this with the month it took and the problem removing the Remington part, and it added up to something I cannot advise other members here to do.
Again, sorry if this offends.
No offense.
Its just that of the many that have upgraded to the new ignition system, this is the first that I know of where there was an issue.
Good luck with the OEM system.

I build adjustable breechplugs for the Remington 700ML that contain a carbide insert. It makes a better gas seal than some of the other breech plugs on the market.

I also add a boltnose to the bolt which holds a 209 primer, and modify the firing pin.

I had a customer who killed a really big 8 point buck last year with one of these rifles I had converted.

If you are interested send me a PM.

Attachments

• MikeGriffinsRem700ML209Buck2020.jpeg
    MikeGriffinsRem700ML209Buck2020.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I’m also curious about why the ASG Upgraded Breech Plug did not work in the Rem 700 UML. Was it due to the Rifle Not having Proper Primary Extraction / Bolt Timing?

Yes, you are correct, it was explained to me as "bolt timing". The rifle works fine as delivered but did not operate with the conversion plug.

OK Thanks, yes Remington definitely has QA/QC problem with the Primary Extraction / Bolt Timing especially with Actions with the Prefix “RR”

So the Primed Cases extract OK? Remington will fix it under Warranty if you want them to.

So the Primed Cases extract OK? Remington will fix it under Warranty if you want them to.
Yes the primed cases worked fine. If the Remington plug should give me trouble in the future I may send it back as you suggested.
Meanwhile I bought about 500 primed cases right off the bat so if I wear out 25 cases a year, I'll be 97 when I need more.

I'm shooting 3 60gr 777 pellets and the Remington 250's. I have a pound of BH sitting here looking at me but the pellets work so well....you know what they say about things that ain't broke.

Sounds Like you are Set for a While👍Glad your headspace is correct & you have proper extraction of the primed cases.

There are a lot of differences between the 700ML/MLS and the ultimate... like others said the ultimate has locking lugs. The 700ML doesn't. Besides adding strength, it makes the Ultimate a "4473 modern rifle:" you have to get back ground checks and follow the laws concerning modern firearms... the 700ML/MLS is not considered a modern firearm and those laws don't apply to it... in general, and in most states. Some places like NJ are just nuts... anyways.

The 700ML is blued steel, the MLS is stainless. Other than that they are essentially identical to one another. Also as they came from the factory the 700ML/MLS use a leaky slam fire ignition system that morphed over the years (even as delivered by Remington). The Ultimate has its ignition issues too (just search here for gas cutting). The Ultimate uses primer carriers (ie modified brass cases) where the 700 ML/MLS use percussion caps, musket caps, or 209 primers depending on how it has been set up or modified. With the Ultimate you either need to be set up to reload/deprime/reprime or you will find yourself purchasing primed casses. With the 700ML/MLS its cheap and easy to just buy primers/caps in bulk.

Both have aftermarket mods to address the issues each rifle had in it ignition system as delivered by Remington. (and yes I sell the Hunter 209 system for the 700ML/MLS).

Also the 700ML/MLS are typically shorter, with shorter barrels, and are lighter handier rifles in my opinion. They typically have reputations for being accurate, but in the stock configuration they require lots of maintenance to be reliable, and good trouble shooting and part replacement to stay reliable. That is why the sealed breech 209 set up is so popular: it fixes most of that.

To me, if you can pick up a 700MLS in good condition for a few hundred bucks, put the Hunter conversion on it (which I do sell), then you have a great rifle without breaking the bank. But again, that's just my opinion and it is my line of business.

If you search here you will find lots of ideas, opinions, and experiments/results to educate your self and make up your mind.

Yours,

Tom

Last edited:
Back