School me on the Remington ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Rem 700 MLS and the 209 conversion from BadgerRidge. IMHO, great rifle and great setup, zero issues, BH209 makes it too easy. No wonder Pen went to traditional only, lol, to save the deer herd.

Got my RUM a few months ago. So far just shooting paper, but I'm very satisfied with it.
One word of caution would be to not be real quick to go for modifications touted as "Improvements". I went that way and now I'm back to the original configuration. Be aware you will need large rifle magnum primers, which are currently scarce and spendy (like everything else).
I have had (3) upgrades for my rem700.. the first allowed 209 primers but still would not ignite blackhorn 209,, the 2nd from canada did so just fine. the third/current is the "hunter" conversion which holds 209 primer in bolt nose. & will ignite all powders.. . I wouldn't dream of going back to the original set up with all the "blow back" fouling that occurs. & neither no. 11 nor musket primers will ignite blackhorn. (at least on mine).. One of the 209 conversions had small amount of blowback. but the one with bolt nose 209 primer holder (hunter 209 system) has none. By the way,, as far as i can tell All primers for reloading are scarce right now so unless your already a reloader & have em the conversions will have you "not shooting" until you can find em. The accuracy of this rig (at least mine) will keep 3 shot groups inside of the x ring (1.5 inch circle) or nfaa indoor target consistantly at 100yds.. You would have to spend a lot more to get very little improvement in accuracy. ....

By the way,, are people shooting smokeless in the old rem 700ml? (other than blackhorn 209) ? I didn't know this was possible, adviseable, even with the "hunter conversion"..

Last edited:
............................By the way,, are people shooting smokeless in the old rem 700ml? (other than blackhorn 209) ? I didn't know this was possible, adviseable, even with the "hunter conversion"..
They are using the actions and changing to smokeless rated barrels and breech plugs. Shooting smokeless in a factory 700ml is just flat out dangerous.

Yes the primed cases worked fine. If the Remington plug should give me trouble in the future I may send it back as you suggested.
Meanwhile I bought about 500 primed cases right off the bat so if I wear out 25 cases a year, I'll be 97 when I need more.

Take your 500 pcs of brass and sort them for off center flash holes, some will be 20-30 thou off. when I had my RUM, I was finding about 30% were bad. I've even found a couple that had an obstruction in the flash hole, and one had no hole at all. The real issue is the case head thickness, it varies quite a bit. ENCORE and used to custom fit our brass to our UFs but we had quality brass to start with (Starline). You have enough brass to be one and done with that cheap Remington stuff.

There are a lot of differences between the 700ML/MLS and the ultimate... like others said the ultimate has locking lugs. The 700ML doesn't. Besides adding strength, it makes the Ultimate a "4473 modern rifle:" you have to get back ground checks and follow the laws concerning modern firearms... the 700ML/MLS is not considered a modern firearm and those laws don't apply to it... in general, and in most states. Some places like NJ are just nuts... anyways.

The 700ML is blued steel, the MLS is stainless. Other than that they are essentially identical to one another. Also as they came from the factory the 700ML/MLS use a leaky slam fire ignition system that morphed over the years (even as delivered by Remington). The Ultimate has its ignition issues too (just search here for gas cutting). The Ultimate uses primer carriers (ie modified brass cases) where the 700 ML/MLS use percussion caps, musket caps, or 209 primers depending on how it has been set up or modified. With the Ultimate you either need to be set up to reload/deprime/reprime or you will find yourself purchasing primed casses. With the 700ML/MLS its cheap and easy to just buy primers/caps in bulk.

Both have aftermarket mods to address the issues each rifle had in it ignition system as delivered by Remington. (and yes I sell the Hunter 209 system for the 700ML/MLS).

Also the 700ML/MLS are typically shorter, with shorter barrels, and are lighter handier rifles in my opinion. They typically have reputations for being accurate, but in the stock configuration they require lots of maintenance to be reliable, and good trouble shooting and part replacement to stay reliable. That is why the sealed breech 209 set up is so popular: it fixes most of that.

To me, if you can pick up a 700MLS in good condition for a few hundred bucks, put the Hunter conversion on it (which I do sell), then you have a great rifle without breaking the bank. But again, that's just my opinion and it is my line of business.

If you search here you will find lots of ideas, opinions, and experiments/results to educate your self and make up your mind.

Yours,

Tom
Is this the conversion kit you sell?

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p10/700ML_KIT.html
I’ve been looking at this for weeks and would like to talk with you privately. I have a Remington 700ML in phenomenal condition but want to convert it to a 209 ignition.
Could I private message you in some way and get a phone number to call and speak with you about this conversion kit? Thanks again!

Is this the conversion kit you sell?

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store/p10/700ML_KIT.html
I’ve been looking at this for weeks and would like to talk with you privately. I have a Remington 700ML in phenomenal condition but want to convert it to a 209 ignition.
Could I private message you in some way and get a phone number to call and speak with you about this conversion kit? Thanks again!

Yes, That's my website. My phone number is on the bottom of every web page: 989 795 2526

You can PM me... use my contact form.... etc. Heck My cell phone number isn't hard to find (though I prefer not to post it on forums for the bots to find and add to robo call lists).

Back