Schuetzen Powder Accuracy Test & Velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I accuracy shot Schuetzen 2F Powder this morning, and shot over my Chronograph to gather Velocity Data. .54 Cal Patched Roundball, 224 Grain Ball. Powder charge was 80 Grains by WEIGHT. I used a Proven Load for this Short Range accuracy Test (Patch/Ball Combo) that performed excellent yesterday with my Swiss 2F Powder, I simply switched the Powder from Swiss to Schuetzen This morning and Group Shot it.

The Video

HF6WEXg.jpg

3 Shot Group at 60 Yards. Schuetzen shot very well, Just as good as my Swiss Did Yesterday
fBUzGjS.jpg

Schuetzen 2F Velocity was 1,353 Fps. Again, The powder charge was 80 Grains by WEIGHT
fPHA2P8.jpg

GOEX 2F Velocity was 1,461 Fps, Powder charge was also 80 Grains by WEIGHT
sEAL7UF.jpg

Swiss 2F Velocity was 1,624 Fps, Powder Charge was also 80 Grains by WEIGHT
dzlEUAd.jpg

Last edited:
I was quite surprised in the Velocity difference, I didn’t expect there to be that much difference, Swiss is 271 Fps Faster with the Same Weight powder Charge

In my testing, with my Can of Schuetzen 2F Powder, 80 Grains by VOLUME of Schuetzen is 83 Grains by WEIGHT

wx1aKkl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't have a scale, been doing all my charges by volume forever, Lol.

It was a good question :lewis: It comes out really close, Swiss is the Same. The last time i Volume to Weight Checked Swiss 2F it was Literally identical

I have Swiss 3f, which I like for my pistols and 45 cal. rifle. Been playing around with different powders in my rifles. They seem to like Old Ensyford 3f. I'll be loading them up with the Swiss 2f sometime soon.

At that weight we aren't yet at the point of diminishing returns are we? If I was hypothetically to get some of your cast bullets and wanted comparative speed would going up to 90 with schutzen still be potentially good?

At that weight we aren't yet at the point of diminishing returns are we? If I was hypothetically to get some of your cast bullets and wanted comparative speed would going up to 90 with schutzen still be potentially good?
It might… some barrels shoot faster than others for one reason or another. But 90 or 100 grains in a fifty or fifty four should be in the range of useful loads. There’s really no way to know without a chronograph.

It might… some barrels shoot faster than others for one reason or another. But 90 or 100 grains in a fifty or fifty four should be in the range of useful loads. There’s really no way to know without a chronograph.

Yes true, mine parted from this earth as it parted from the bench when my brother shot his muzzle braked 338 through it. Never bothered to buy another but may have to.

Yes true, mine parted from this earth as it parted from the bench when my brother shot his muzzle braked 338 through it. Never bothered to buy another but may have to.

:roll: I can picture that happening! It’s not funny, but it is 🤣

I am working on the Bullets my Friend :lewis: I got behind the 8 ball so to speak and am running a bit behind

If i were gonna Hunt with this Schuetzen i would try 100-110 Grains, Maybe 120 Grains? It is quite ANEMIC when compared to Swiss, this was kinda shocking to me today, I would never have thought it to be nearly 300 Fps Slower than Swiss with the Same Weight Powder charge, But it is. My velocity goal with my Bullets Weighing in the 400 to 500 Grain Range is 1,350 to 1,450 Fps

I am working on the Bullets my Friend :lewis: I got behind the 8 ball so to speak and am running a bit behind

If i were gonna Hunt with this Schuetzen i would try 100-110 Grains, Maybe 120 Grains? It is quite ANEMIC when compared to Swiss, this was kinda shocking to me today, I would never have thought it to be nearly 300 Fps Slower than Swiss with the Same Weight Powder charge, But it is. My velocity goal with my Bullets Weighing in the 400 to 500 Grain Range is 1,350 to 1,450 Fps

No pressure at all mate, there's no rush in this part of the world at the moment.

I did some more research and schuetzen is a Swiss powder made by Wano I think. But separate from actual Wano as they make their own line.

Latest posts

Back