Schuetzen Powder Accuracy Test & Velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lewis, have you ever shot Elephant brand powder? I'm not suggesting you involve it in your testing, just curious if you've ever shot any. I think I have 10 Lbs or more of it in storage from 30 years ago. I've never shot any of it yet. I stocked up on powder at Friendship, put everything away and proceeded to get on with life. Everything I read about it back in the day said that it was really dirty, I reckon I'll find out whenever I get to go shooting again.

I have never tried the Elephant Brand Blackpowder, I have seen it mentioned across the Forums many times

thanks Lewis. I have found another pound of Swiss 3Fg locally but no 2Fg. Not till about April i am told. Schuetzen 2Fg and 3Fg they have in stock. Guess i will go with the Swiss 3Fg for now, maybe a pound of Schuetzen 2Fg as backup. The Swiss 3Fg i have only used in my '51 Colt and '58 Remmy revolvers. Any recommendations on grains for a TC Hawken 50 cal 1-48 twist using Hornady 410 grain and 385 grain Great Plains Bullets with the Swiss 3Fg powder?
DL

Try 70 Grains of Swiss 3F with that Hornady Great Plains Bullet :lewis:

thanks Lewis. I have found another pound of Swiss 3Fg locally but no 2Fg. Not till about April i am told. Schuetzen 2Fg and 3Fg they have in stock. Guess i will go with the Swiss 3Fg for now, maybe a pound of Schuetzen 2Fg as backup. The Swiss 3Fg i have only used in my '51 Colt and '58 Remmy revolvers. Any recommendations on grains for a TC Hawken 50 cal 1-48 twist using Hornady 410 grain and 385 grain Great Plains Bullets with the Swiss 3Fg powder?
DL
DL, I’ve been using 3F Swiss in 40, 45’s, and 50’s, 60 grains for the 40, 75 in both 45 and 50. I’m almost out of the Great Plains bullets in .50 and I do like that bullet. Mostly I shoot middleweight to light heavyweights. Take care brother…

DL, I’ve been using 3F Swiss in 40, 45’s, and 50’s, 60 grains for the 40, 75 in both 45 and 50. I’m almost out of the Great Plains bullets in .50 and I do like that bullet. Mostly I shoot middleweight to light heavyweights. Take care brother…
Thanks brother. I bought the Great Plains from Deer Creek Products. It was NOS they found. The lube was old and crusty. Not to worry , I plan on paper patching them anyway. I think I bought almost all they had including the 45 cal Great Plains. Here are some trial 50's paper patched and sized. I had to get all the old lube off, what a PITA. I have FP and HP.
DL
IMG_0988.JPG

Yeah, I found a hundred 45 maxi balls in an old ammo can. Same thing, nasty dried lube and lots of it. I took a heat gun to them and then scrubbed them all with an old toothbrush and a piece of towel. Halfway through I was thinking maybe I should have just melted them down and cast new. Too hard headed I guess…
Are you doing a single wrap? I saw something about that on the other site.

What does 80 weighed grains equal by volumn?
i can answer a little on this not with ff,,,, but with fff (schuetzen)... 80 weighed grains measured 70 by volume... Maybe its because the fff smaller grains take up less space?? (also 70 weighed equaled 60 by volume) i've only done these 2 loads and only with schuetzen fff....

I was quite surprised in the Velocity difference, I didn’t expect there to be that much difference, Swiss is 271 Fps Faster with the Same Weight powder Charge
just wondering,,, could you feel a greater recoil with the higher velocity shots... it would have to be releasing more energy to give the higher velocity?? right?? (I know this querie is a year late but still had to ask)

Lewis
Have you done any testing using Swiss 1.5F powder and what about Swiss 3F in any of your target sessions with your 45 or 50 cal rifles? Just a little curious.
DL
I shoot 3f Swiss in competition shooting with Civil War arms. What I've found is 2 or 3f in Swiss- there's not too much difference other than you can use a bit less with 3f. In regards to Old E, it used to be my goto powder but I've found that it's almost identical to Swiss so I switched to Swiss for other reasons and haven't gone back, especially since Goex can't seem to keep from having accidents. So as to what caliber are we talking about- 58cal in muskets and 54cal Sharps.

musketoongroup3.jpg

sharpsgroup1.jpg

I shoot 3f Swiss in competition shooting with Civil War arms. What I've found is 2 or 3f in Swiss- there's not too much difference other than you can use a bit less with 3f. In regards to Old E, it used to be my goto powder but I've found that it's almost identical to Swiss so I switched to Swiss for other reasons and haven't gone back, especially since Goex can't seem to keep from having accidents. So as to what caliber are we talking about- 58cal in muskets and 54cal Sharps.

View attachment 23928

View attachment 23929
that's fine shooting esp the 58 cal!! using a minie? what weight??

Back