Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have a hard time going to a 50mm obj without looking at smaller obj with good glass such as a Sightron S-TAC 3x16x42 30mm tube or a Viper HS 2.5x10x44 30mm tube. Im just not sure how well a 1" tube is going to compare to the 30mm even with the larger obj bell. Larger bell requires mounting the scope higher and i really like mine as low as possible. That Viper is only $250 on sale at MidwayUSA and the Sightron is a little less than im seeing for the 3i in 50mm.

What i really like about the Loopie is its weight and eye relief. The Viper is pretty close in relief but its a few ounces heavier. Something like this i would have to compare side by side first. The Sightron gets high marks for its glass and very good tracking. They make some great scopes and they have really good CS from reviews ive seen. If their 2x10 would have been a 40mm or larger i would have been all over it.

I agree on Leupold's. The eye relief is a big deal if you shooto heavy loads. On a muzzleloader, I've used the 2x7 Compact (no longer made, but available on eBay) for years. Unless you're shooting in the dark, there's no need for a 50 mm objective. On a 200 yard shot, I would use the post on a duplex reticle. Try 340 Dead Center PRbullets They are boattail, and have a higher B.C. so shoot flatter. The extra weight knocks deer down. I used to run 150 gr. of powder, but you'll shoot better with lighter loads, and they are just as effective on deer.

i recently bought a 3x9x40 Cabela's Instinct rifle scope. Scope is manufactured by Meopta. Meopta manufactured the old Zeiss Conquest rifle scopes. After Zeiss dropped their old Conquest line of scopes, Cabela's contracted with Meopta to manufacture their Instinct rifle scopes. The scope has BDC.

i own several Leupold VX3 and VX 3i scopes. The Cabela's scope is easily the equal of the Leupold scopes in low light, maybe better.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-instinct-hd-rifle-scope

Might want to check how Cabelas handles warranty now on scopes. Last i heard whats on the box is not worth squat after the BP buyout . After 90days you are SOL on house branded scopes. You can get a Meopro with a solid warranty for $375.

Might want to check how Cabelas handles warranty now on scopes. Last i heard whats on the box is not worth squat after the BP buyout . After 90days you are SOL on house branded scopes. You can get a Meopro with a solid warranty for $375.

Well that sucks! It used to be anything with the cabelas name on it you could bring into the store whenever and for whatever reason and they would exchange it for a new one.

Last i heard whats on the box is not worth squat after the BP buyout

Cabela's says they continue to honor the lifetime warranty. There was a lifetime warranty card in the box.

In my 81 years i've returned two rifle scopes, both were from Leupold, a factory defect was replaced with a factory defect.

Scope didn't cost me anything, bought it with Cabela's points. In any event, given my age, the warranty don't have to last very long. :D

Well that sucks! It used to be anything with the cabelas name on it you could bring into the store whenever and for whatever reason and they would exchange it for a new one.

The so called lifetime warranty is NOT your lifetime. Its the products lifetime and they decide how long that is. The forums have many posts about the warranty after the BP buy out. A MeoPro 3x9x40 can be had for $375 with the exact same reticle or in plex. The card in the box says Meopta will repair the Cabelas Instinct scope but they WONT. Call and ask them. If it fails you must go through Cabelas.

I will agree though Meopta made glass is excellent quality. All those Instinct/MeoPro/Old Conquest scopes are/were assembled in the same plant in the USA. IIRC the actual glass is either from a great source in Japan or Czechoslovakia. The newer Zeiss V4 series are made in Japan and get better reviews than many of the EU made scopes. Ive seen some V4s on sale for under $500 and durability reviews have been top shelf.

Last edited:
A MeoPro 3x9x40 can be had for $375 with the exact same reticle or in plex.

Yep, i know this: Mine cost nothing but Cabela's points. For years i used a Cabela's card for purchases at my job sites. Accumulated oodles of points.

The card in the box says Meopta will repair the Cabelas Instinct scope but they WONT. Call

The warranty card in my box says " Cabela's Legendary Lifetime Guarantee". "Your optic will be repaired or replaced with no cost to you".

I put a 3X9 40mm Leupo;d on my CVA Mountain Rifle. I like the simple crosshairs over the busy look of a BDC reticle. I have shot out to 200 yards and have good idea on the hold overs out to that distance. Are you hunting in an area that you will have long shots where the BDC will be needed regularly? Either way you will be very happy with this with the VX Freedom scope on your rifle

I’ve got one of those on my Optima and I agree. A it’s an excellent scope for the money.

I purchased a Bushnell DOA 250 muzzleloader scope online for less than $200 and it holds it's own. Clear and still on zero... Made for muzzleloaders...

It says made in Korea but on almost all of your scopes today the lenses and other parts are made in the Philippines but are assembled in China, Korea, Japan because of labor costs are so cheap. For a reasonable cost scope for a muzzle loader I have had zero problems or complaints. Has a generous eye relief as well

Attachments

• Bushnell Trophy DOA 4.jpg
    Bushnell Trophy DOA 4.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Bushnell Trophy DOA 3.jpg
    Bushnell Trophy DOA 3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Bushnell Trophy DOA 2.jpg
    Bushnell Trophy DOA 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Bushnell Trophy DOA 1.jpg
    Bushnell Trophy DOA 1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2
The so called lifetime warranty is NOT your lifetime. Its the products lifetime and they decide how long that is. The forums have many posts about the warranty after the BP buy out. A MeoPro 3x9x40 can be had for $375 with the exact same reticle or in plex. The card in the box says Meopta will repair the Cabelas Instinct scope but they WONT. Call and ask them. If it fails you must go through Cabelas.

I will agree though Meopta made glass is excellent quality. All those Instinct/MeoPro/Old Conquest scopes are/were assembled in the same plant in the USA. IIRC the actual glass is either from a great source in Japan or Czechoslovakia. The newer Zeiss V4 series are made in Japan and get better reviews than many of the EU made scopes. Ive seen some V4s on sale for under $500 and durability reviews have been top shelf.
GM54-120, I have decided to use an older VX-II 3x9x50mm Leupold scope off of a rifle I rarely use. After some research I purchased the DNZ Game Reaper 10016 Medium Mount : DNZ Products Game Reaper 1-Piece Scope Base 1 Integral Rings Thompson

From what I read I think this set up will do fine. My only concern is if the medium rings will be high enough for the 3x9x50. Also if the hammer will be accessible enough. What are your thoughts on this set up. I can always return the mount...

Keep in mind I will only use this rifle one week out of the year during muzzy season in GA. She is going to be a 100-150 yard gun where I hunt and get me in the woods a week early every year. Of course I'll probably shoot it for fun and do a trigger job on it later time permitting. Possibly a gun to use out of state and on different species so I am not too particular about the ergonomics of getting to the hammer easily etc. I just do not want to have too low of bases and risk the barrel rise hitting the scope. From what i've read this should be a fine set up but I will defer to your knowledge.

So TC Pro Hunter FX, DNZ Med Game Reaper mount (10016), Leupold VX-II 3x9x50... Will she cut the mustard? Thanks

That sounds like a GREAT setup. DNZ makes a great mount and im very found of the older "Gold Ring" VX-II scopes.

I would double check with DNZ about the clearance using a medium mount and a 50mm obj.

That sounds like a GREAT setup. DNZ makes a great mount and im very found of the older "Gold Ring" VX-II scopes.

I would double check with DNZ about the clearance using a medium mount and a 50mm obj.
So DNZ is telling me the clearnece will be fine and its all about eye relief. He said the 10016 is a mount for folks that want a little more eye relief. Looks like this older VX-II 3x9x50 has an eye relief of 4.7-3.7 so it should be fine. hopefully I will not need to creep up on the stock. Should work out.

Last edited:
Back