Scope - Eye relief problem? Not sure what to do

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - I have a Bushnell Banner scope on my CVA Wolf. My problem is, even with the scope as far back as it will go in the rings, the sight picture is not clear...the black ring on the sides is there unless I move my head closer to the scope- which is an unnatural shooting position for me. Since the scope rings cannot be moved further back due to the location of the breech plug...I am not sure what to do. I do not have this problem with my Ruger 350 Legend, which has a 12.5 inch LOP...the CVA Wolf has a 14 LOP. If I need a new scope, that is OK, but what measurements should I be looking for to make sure that I will be able to get a clear picture at the highest magnification in my "normal" shooting position?IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1458.jpg If a different gun, any recs for an inline with a shorter LOP?

Last edited:
Can you have some one measure from your eye to the scope while you shoulder it (with your eyes closed)? See how much eye relief you need.
With the scope as far back in rings as it goes, it is 5" from the scope to where I would hold the gun naturally. Though I wish the buttstock of this gun was a little taller too, geometry of it is not great for me...

It appears he has an older model wolf. Not sure if that stock would fit he would have to double check. But if it did i think he would be in business!
My Wolf is from 2019...but that item is sold out everywhere...From what I read online there is a new Wolf coming out that has an adjustable buttsotck... I think I may be in the market for a new inline anyway and keep this one as my backup...I'll post in the inline section for recs...

Everyone needs a backup! I also don`t like that ring being so close to the front of your scope. You might want to try a weaver style base for more adjustment. Keep us posted . Good luck

Actually, now that I think about it...my question is this. It is now so much that the 14" LOP feels too long, actually, it is quite comfortable and far less scrunched up than my 12.5 LOP Ruger 350 Legend...it is simply that the butt stock is a touch too low {Michigan Muzzy, I saw your tip there} and that the eye relief on my scope is a touch too short for my build. Does anybody know of a scope with a 6" eye relief...does that exist?

Last edited:
Not really but this cheap one does
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes/banner/banner-3-9x40-riflescope/BU-613947.html
What you need is a rail mount that is long enough to mount the scope properly. DNZ also makes mounts for standard and extended eye relief scopes. Not sure if they offer the extended for CVAs or not but ive seen them for other rifles.
You mean something like this? And then the rings could be mounted further back to get the whole scope a little further back, is that the idea? Muzzle-Loaders.com™ CVA Scope Rail - Fits CVA™ Accura, Optima & Wolf Muzzleloaders - MZ1922

Regarding the link above. Using Weaver style rings, the ring spacing can be adjusted to provide room to adjust the scope. You may have to use an extended rear ring. Without having a base and rifle in hand it is difficult to say for sure.
In a nutshell, if the picatinny rail when mounted does not place the last slot behind the current rear ring location the only solution would be an extended rear ring.

I put that leupold on my 1895 Marlin. It is a nice scope.

Latest posts

Back