Scope for CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Midway was clearing their fixed 10x42 last year I brought a pair I really like them but again they're more Target oriented not the perfect scope for a hunting muzzleloader,, I just got a pair of crimson trace a couple of months ago I thought I would try the two to seven by 32 lasted two shots ,,I've got it boxed up to send back but I'm not feeling really good about the second scope which is a 4 to 12 x40 hard z line. I hate boxing something up and sending it back specially brand new, two shots out of the box. I often pull my muzzle brakes off and shoot without them not very friendly on most scopes. I'm still looking for the perfect three to $500 scope as I mentioned the meopta looking good so far, mine just have a simple crosshair I wish they had maybe a three post ranging reticle. I put the Leupold rifleman 4 to 12x40 on my ultra light 6 and 1/2 lb defiance action muzzleloader so far for the money I really really like it, for the price point and function I think it would make a great scope for that CVA optima

You tried the new Crimson Trace line made in Philippines? I was tempted to try the Japanese made 1-8x28 34mm FFP tube but they sold out. They blew them out for like $300.

Cant find any reviews on the new line but sofar they are not very appealing to me.

The two - seven by 32 and a 4 to 12 by 40 mm both 1 in are made in the Philippines, the two to seven power by 32 was the one that crashed second shot,, I put the 4 to 12 on a 6x55 Ackley improved so far it's okay ,not that impressed with it though a little bit of fisheye in the lens,, crosshairs are a little too thick it reminds me of the diamondback vortex crosshairs,, but the Glass isn't as good as vortex. Bushnell has a fixed 10 power with the mill dot reticle in it that I like ,I think they're still available for between two and $300 I don't remember the exact model name I've got them on a couple of older muzzleloaders haven't had any issues with them at all

The old Japanese made Big Sky line were loved by many. Very few scopes could compete against them for the same money.

True that! Oh how I loved the Big Sky line! To this day, my main hunting rifle is paired with a 4.5-14 big sky and I have no plans to change it out anytime soon. I sure wish they would put out a serious hunting line with a quality reticle.

I have a Konus pro 275 on my cva optima v2 lr 50 cal nitride rifle. I am looking hard at the Leopold. Does these other brand scopes set up with lines as the Konus?
Burris fullfield 2 3x9x40
Hawke 3x9x40 ml / slug
Vortex 3x9x40 ml / slug
The first crosshair sighted it in at 100 yards. Are the other crosshairs dead on like 150 200 250 yards? I have a Hawke Vantage 4x12x40AO IR 17 hmr scope has lines at 100 125 150 175 200 225 250 275 300 yards. The 100 150 200 250 300 has crosshairs . The 125 175 and so on has smaller line. I sighted it in at a 100. Shot out to 250 yards dead on.

Almost all scope manufacturers have lower end scopes with ballistic reticles that the shooter can use to range to 500 yards,, I know a lot of us realize it but the reticles do not have to be set up ballistically for our velocity or our bullet,, if the shooter adjusts his zero to fit his load he's good to go other than that it's really just a matter of shooting and practicing out to the farthest range you might ever fire at a deer or a game animal,,, it seems like the constant consensus is a three to nine or a 2 to 10 with a three or four dot or line reticle of some type as well as windage serves the shooter well,,, and I'm in agreement with that camp. I'm kind of staying in that 300 to $500 scope price and quality range from now on I've tried some of the bottom of the line 150 and $200 scopes they're okay at a hundred yards but trying to shoot 4 and 500 yards with them,, the glass quality is a challenge. I will say this the most shots I have on any of my scopes and also the most switched from rifle to rifle to rifle is a sightron s-tac,,, 2.5-10,,,, I had a large group of Scopes 5 years ago that were holding up very well a lot of different name brands from lower end to to high-end I remember being amused at guys that were complaining about losing Scopes to muzzleloaders cuz it hadn't happened a whole lot to me once it started it's been like a snowball , I'm averaging losing a scope every three or four months now, but they're not going bad from sitting around a lot of bullets downrange constantly that's why I'm staying in that 3 to $500 scope category,, sightron looks better all the time

So the Leopold Muzzle loader scope would be a starting point? I want to get one that will last.

That's a good scope I have a couple I don't think you'll go wrong with it in the warranty will stand behind it and the retical will serve you well

Thats what i got my mine set on so far. I am a nikon fan. But i didnt want have to pay a over price for a used scope. Plus have to pay to get it fixed. If it ever messed up. Leopold has been around a long time. I know i have had heard good thinks about them.

I have a Konus pro 275 on my cva optima v2 lr 50 cal nitride rifle. I am looking hard at the Leopold. Does these other brand scopes set up with lines as the Konus?
Burris fullfield 2 3x9x40
Hawke 3x9x40 ml / slug
Vortex 3x9x40 ml / slug
The first crosshair sighted it in at 100 yards. Are the other crosshairs dead on like 150 200 250 yards? I have a Hawke Vantage 4x12x40AO IR 17 hmr scope has lines at 100 125 150 175 200 225 250 275 300 yards. The 100 150 200 250 300 has crosshairs . The 125 175 and so on has smaller line. I sighted it in at a 100. Shot out to 250 yards dead on.
My Burris does.

Latest posts

Back