Scope for traditions buckstalker xt with a high hammer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerRedhawk

Reaction score
Been a while since I've gotten into muzz, but just picked up a traditions buckstalker xt. My shots will all be 100 or under. I am no good with iron sights so want a scope, but am finding I will likely have to mount it very high to clear the hammer on this gun. Is this expected? I am not sold on keeping this vortex crossfire, wondering if there are options out there with a little less bulk on the eye side of the scope that might help keep the mount a little lower.

A nice 2x7x32 plex scope works good, a little lighter and you do not have to mount them as high. Harder to find these days as the market has been trending to larger optics. I have 4 Nikons in that range but they no longer are in the scope business.

I had the same problem with a handi- rifle, I bobbed the hammer. There was still room for the hammer spur.

My daughters youth model came with a screw in thumb rest that was reversible for right or left handed use. That was pretty much needed for the DNZ mounts that I used with a Leupold Freedom 2x7.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have a hammer extension installed which should help, but the height of the hammer is still pretty high. I am thinking I will shop around for a 2-7x32, 4x32 or something like that. I have a Nikon 2-7 on another rifle I might swap.

Also am tempted by the Leupold ultralight fixed 2.5x20. I'm not sure having not used such a small objective scope before.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I do have a hammer extension installed which should help, but the height of the hammer is still pretty high. I am thinking I will shop around for a 2-7x32, 4x32 or something like that. I have a Nikon 2-7 on another rifle I might swap.

Also am tempted by the Leupold ultralight fixed 2.5x20. I'm not sure having not used such a small objective scope before.
I'm considering that FXII as well for my LHR, since I need more eye relief and that scope has 4.9" !

Back