Scope Lapping??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have trued and lapped every set of rings I've installed for over 30 years. It was something suggested to me by the gunsmith that built my 1st competition bench rifle. I do it because it's what's best for the scope. Scope tubes are thin and made with soft alloys that dent easily. Truing the two and lapping out all the high spots does two things...most importantly aligning the two perfectly stops torquing of the tube body and then maximizing ring to tube surface area. It's all about doing the little things to ensure repeatability. I know 300 meter and 1000 yard bench guns are a far cry from a production muzzleloader which is what the majority of us shoot. But I'm a firm believer that removing as many variables as I reasonably can benefits me and my target. And if I want to sell a scope I've used it doesn't look like it.
Well said. :lewis:

I used the Burris Signature rings (have the plastic inserts) for my last two scopes and am very happy with them. So far, So good. 🙂

I never heard of this lapping until just the last few years, but then I don't mount a lot of scopes. My go to Mounts were always Weaver steel rings, and they seemed to have enough give to them to round out and fit the scope. I've never had a scope slip in the rings, I don't know how big you have to go in calibers, but I'm sure it takes a lot of recoil to do that. I wonder if the quality of rings hasn't went downhill since the 60s and 70s.
Squint

Back