Scope Mounting Advice Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carcosa

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a TC Triumph Bone Collector, and I am getting a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Riflescope. I never mounted a rifle scope before, but will any mounting rails work on this rifle? Any suggestions for a rail and rings for this?
Not sure if I should try and mount it myself or bring it into a store to have it done by a gunsmith

Thanks for your advice

You'll have to get a rail specifically for that rifle. It's not a one size fits all deal.
As far as rings, depending on what scope you're getting, you need to plan enough clearance for the hammer on your rifle.
I'd go with medium or high mount.
You also need to get some Blue loctite for all the screws.

Whatever you put on it make sure you use plenty of lock-tite. I used up a few hundred dollars worth of powder and bullets trying to find my load, and diagnose what my problems were when I could have spent two dollars on lock-tite.

I put a steel base and steel rings on my Son's Triumph, I believe both were Warne, the rings are for sure. Lots of good videos on how to do it yourself.

ok I bought a rail that fits on a TC Encore, but I think it should fit the TC Triumph Bone Collector since I read all Thompson mounts have the same setup for fitting their rifles.

Weaver Top-Mount Scope Base #410 TC Encore
Leupold 1” PRW2 Permanent Weaver Style Rings

almost bought a picatinny till i realized it had a 20 moa offset... not sure why they do that

A couple things i recommend, getting a Tipton best gun vise and a weaver scope leveling kit. Fun to tinker with guns, I really enjoy mounting scopes as it allows you to setup the gun/scope properly and ensure it fits you the best!
I mock mount the scope first to review clearance and to put the scope where it suits me best from an eye relief standpoint. Don’t forget to look through the scope at lowest power and highest power when deciding where you want to place it in your rings and mount. Next, level the gun, place the barrel level at the muzzle then work on tightening down the scope in your desired location level to the gun, don’t get frustrated if you have to try a couple times to get the scope to level with the gun when tightening the rings, go easy and work around the rings and don’t over tighten the screws.
If you have a bore sighting device should be simple, if not, start with your target up close and work it out knowing you want to be high out to 50 yards.

EXD Engineering reticle alignment tool.

I have used this and it has been the best I have ever used.

Levels on scope caps only level the scope body not the internals. Using this one makes your barrel and reticle plumb with the world. I have only shot out to 400yds but everything stayed true.

Last edited:
EXD Engineering reticle alignment tool.

I have used this and it has been the best I have ever used.

Levels on scope caps only level the scope body not the internals. Using this one makes your barrel and reticle plumb with the world. I have only shot out to 400yds but everything stayed true.

Just looked up the EXD reticle alignment tool, I definitely like what it offers. Wish it wasn’t over $50!

long range this is likely a must have, until I shoot farther than I currently do I will have to rely on my Wheeler professional reticle leveling system.....if the EXD comes down in price it would be hard to pass up.

Latest posts

Back