Scope rail is finally here.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youve got me looking at Redfields for my Knight 1:30 .45. and my Black Diamond.

Just make sure you compare it to a similar Leupold now days. Prices might be closer than they were back then. Loppie sells a very similar scope and at very similar price. Its all about waiting for a sale. You can save a ton of money. Im waiting to see the actual street price on the new Burris HDs and reviews before i consider upgrading my last scope.

My late model Redfields are all on center fire Rifles except one Variable 12 power mounted on a CVA Paramount.
All are good so far. I have used 4 with no problems. I find very little difference from the Redfields and the Leupold VX-1 line.

They looked very very similar to me when i bought mine. If anything the Redfield glass was slightly better but not quite VXII in light gathering. The new Freedom series replaced both and rumored to be very close to VXII. Just not sure if the Freedoms are as tough as the older Loopies.

All this time on the ML boards i havent seen very many negative reviews. Maybe 1 or 2. In general they were a bargain for quite some time. Sure beat the pants off of many of the Nikons and Burris selling for similar cost.

Never owned a Nikon and probably won't. Have an early Burris of high quality. A target scope Mini 6 X Hunter Bench rest with a dot P.A.
My other Burris is on a Thomson center long range pistol 35 Herrett. I like both scopes.
I don't think the Redfields are very close to the Leupold VXII manly because of the retical selection difference. I can't tell any difference in lens glass. One or the other except maybe color.
I use the Leupold VX II 4-12 LR duplex and the Leu. VX III 4.5 x14 x40 Boone & crocket # 170690 on 2 of my smokeless ML guns. Don't have to mess with turret elevation adjustments. Good scopes for the money !
I don't have a use for a tactical scope or adj. turrets when shooting. Their is a place for them but not in my world.

Ultimate slam looks very close to the low power Redfields. Looks like a good hunting scope. I'm sure it's very light Wht.
I have a 2-7x33 Leu. VX_1 I like a lot. Works great in low light standing timber.

Again to each their own. People think it's silly when they see a 2000 car with a 10k sound system. I mean that's the general consensus.

With Scopes apparently all logic goes out the window. Top of the line scope isn't going to make the rifle shoot any better. I will stand by that statement.

I will also stand by the statement that for a muzzleloader realistically probably will never be used as much as a centerfire or rimfire. Therefore for my purposes will be completely asinine to spend ridiculous amounts of money.

The wolf will not shoot any better. I also stand by the statement that if the scope offers a good Clearview continue to hit the same point of impact what's some point of durability then it's just as damn good in form and function as something 100 bucks or more could do.

You want to argue snap-on vs. Timex go head. I think we all have a lot to leaarn. I keep continue making analogies until my face is blue but I don't think we get anywhere. Sure I would love to have snap-on tools but realistically if you don't work on cars why would you need a Snap-On.

Some of you might put a $1,000 scope on a $2,000 rifle or something that you use once a year. To that I say must be nice having excess money. For the rest of us or logical and pragmatic I doubt we'll be doing that.

Sometimes you make do with what you have and what you have works really well. I doubt anybody out there actually owns an ohhunt given the level of scope snobry. With that being said how can you even begin to judge the quality of something that you've never even seen. Sure you can make generalized statements like Chinese Scopes are s*** but we know for a fact that's not true. To blow your mind even further how many glass manufacturers do you think there really are in the world? I think a lot of them might be using the same manufacturers and repackaging scopes. You think that USA model scope used USA glass. It's a crazy world out there were a lot of people believe a lot of crazy things innit?

Variable power Scopes and oh wow you got the high power. Variable power is just that variable 3 by 7 scope and a 4 by 16 scope have something in common they could both magnify 4 to 7 power only in general the three by 7 we'll have a 30 mm Bell or smaller and the 4 by 4 16 will have a 44 mm Bell or larger. I own six scopes. And they are in the larger magnification range but they do come down too. Down to 3 magnification. And to be honest most of the time I set the zoom and don't even mess with it. I don't know very many people that are out there constantly messing with their zoom on their scopes.
Unfortunately I hear a lot of you should have bought this and that's not going to work and I'm not sure I understand since no one has really tested my setup in particular. Lot of preconceived notions going on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabpan, I don't think this discussion has mentioned any expensive top of the line scopes. Just good scopes for the cost.
I didn't see the word Nightforce, Steiner,Zeiss and so on mentioned any where in this string.
Good logic is buying an affordable scope that meets the requirements of it's intended use with dependability and long term use. As well as a good warranty, a vender/ manuf. that will back their product without question is a good thing these days.
Low power is for gathering light in low light conditions as well as expanding field of view a 7 power scope can work very well out to 200 yrds or so. High powers are for longer ranges with plenty of light and a rifle that is not meant to carry. There is a compromise that has to be made when one puts a high power scope on a gun that can't use it. Wht. goes up and sight line moves up from bore center. Just saying things you might learn with time.
Nothing I know is preconceived that's been mentioned . I think most comments on this thred are from experience based on long time shooting in various shooting disciplines.

Scopes as mentioned by myself and GM 120 are scopes we have used or worked with on guns that have been shot. Don't take offence. Enjoy your shooting.

I do not want to be argumentative or redundant. Thank you for your suggestions. I understand your viewpoints.

My position is if a scope does what a scope should do and if I don't use that scope on that rifle very often I'd rather just use what I have that has been tested to be good for me.

If the scope tracks properly, has a good large light gathering bell, decent reticle holds 0 and it continues to work etc. How is that a bad scope?

Some of these manufacturers with their lifetime warranties are harder to deal with than is worth. That's some not all. I hear vortex is good about that. That's what sold me on it until I got it. Bottom line I didn't like it. Many many other people may love thiers and hey that's awesome too.

there are also a ton of other manufacturers out there in the 150 to $200 price range that may or may not be manufactured in the United States more than likely containing foreign components that is a well-known fact.

I also tried to justify in my mind that if I spent decent money on a lifetime warranty scope I'd only buy one in my lifetime. But if it's one that I don't like I don't want it.

As I mentioned early on I plan on keeping my powder charges low. If it kicks like a .243 I should be just fine.

The pics may be deceiving. If I held the rifle and simulated the kickback it would have to kick like a 50 BMG to knock me in the head.

And the bottom line is i'll find out when I go to the range. I have to respectfully disagree with the preconceived notions. I have actually shot some rifles before.

also I've been reading things about black powder and because of the slow burn rate you get less kickback anyway. not to mention the YouTube videos that I've seen with people putting a hundred 50 grain charges in there. It's a cannon but it's not really Cannon you know what I mean?

in regards to your scope being mounted off center bore that sounds like a mounting issue not a scope issue as long as the scope has specifications on how many moa then it's a scope mounting issue.

that being said you'll see on some of these older rifles there are scopes mounted in a bunch of wacky different positions including a 45-degree cant completely off center the idea being that once set at a certain yardage you got poi at the crosshair. Your moa turret adjustments are going to be completely off but Kentucky windage will always work.

Scopes that are mounted left or right of the bore center are intended that way to accommodate ejection of the receiver.
Your gun going to kick more than a .243.
Once you get hit in the head maybe you will wake up or probably develop a good flinch. Sure as shooting!
I'm Done here

Dont need to say any more than

Eye Relief:2.7 - 3.4 in

To not even consider it on any of my MLs. Been there and done that.

This was advice given to me by a very close friend of mine since i was 15-16 Years Old Til his death in 2016, Ron was a Small bore Benchrest Champion, He had NUMEROUS awards, Trophies, Plaques, Etc. He was a VERY Accomplished Shooter for MANY MANY Years. Ron’s advice to me years ago was “Buy the ABSOLUTE BEST Quality Scope you can afford” in most cases with Optics you get what you pay for. I have followed Ron’s advice all of my Life, I DON’T Skimp on my Scopes

Again to each their own. People think it's silly when they see a 2000 car with a 10k sound system. I mean that's the general consensus.

With Scopes apparently all logic goes out the window. Top of the line scope isn't going to make the rifle shoot any better. I will stand by that statement.

I will also stand by the statement that for a muzzleloader realistically probably will never be used as much as a centerfire or rimfire. Therefore for my purposes will be completely asinine to spend ridiculous amounts of money.

The wolf will not shoot any better. I also stand by the statement that if the scope offers a good Clearview continue to hit the same point of impact what's some point of durability then it's just as damn good in form and function as something 100 bucks or more could do.

You want to argue snap-on vs. Timex go head. I think we all have a lot to leaarn. I keep continue making analogies until my face is blue but I don't think we get anywhere. Sure I would love to have snap-on tools but realistically if you don't work on cars why would you need a Snap-On.

Some of you might put a $1,000 scope on a $2,000 rifle or something that you use once a year. To that I say must be nice having excess money. For the rest of us or logical and pragmatic I doubt we'll be doing that.

Sometimes you make do with what you have and what you have works really well. I doubt anybody out there actually owns an ohhunt given the level of scope snobry. With that being said how can you even begin to judge the quality of something that you've never even seen. Sure you can make generalized statements like Chinese Scopes are s*** but we know for a fact that's not true. To blow your mind even further how many glass manufacturers do you think there really are in the world? I think a lot of them might be using the same manufacturers and repackaging scopes. You think that USA model scope used USA glass. It's a crazy world out there were a lot of people believe a lot of crazy things innit?

Variable power Scopes and oh wow you got the high power. Variable power is just that variable 3 by 7 scope and a 4 by 16 scope have something in common they could both magnify 4 to 7 power only in general the three by 7 we'll have a 30 mm Bell or smaller and the 4 by 4 16 will have a 44 mm Bell or larger. I own six scopes. And they are in the larger magnification range but they do come down too. Down to 3 magnification. And to be honest most of the time I set the zoom and don't even mess with it. I don't know very many people that are out there constantly messing with their zoom on their scopes.
Unfortunately I hear a lot of you should have bought this and that's not going to work and I'm not sure I understand since no one has really tested my setup in particular. Lot of preconceived notions going on there.
Your the one with the broken scope, again you get what you pay for, i have sold 100’s of scopes while working in the gun industry

Latest posts

Back