Sdporter’s .45 Snover Style Bullet Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Sdporter sent me his .45 Snover Style Bullet Mold that He recently Cut So i could play around with it in a Few of my Fast Twist Rifles, This thing is Definitely gonna Shoot :lewis: I am looking forward to Stretching this Bullet Out to 500-600 Yards, and Running it in my 1:18 Twists. It did Really well here in my 1:20 Twist

55-60 Yards to the Target
hOJZsqIl.jpg

I Cast these first Trial Run Bullets of Certified PURE Lead, They Weigh 539 Grains, They Drop from the Mold at .452-.453, This Bullet measures 1.460 Long
HVuYk5Om.jpg

And the 6 Shot Group, I chose to hit these a little Harder, I bumped the Powder up to 85 Grains (2F Swiss) The Big Bullet is Definitely gonna Shoot Well :lewis: This one is ready to get some Distance
uDMP1dfl.jpg

Lewis,
You need to scope one of your fast twist sidelocks, and take this bullet on out to 1500 plus meters. I will bet it can shoot on out to 1750 meters with its fantastic BC.

Way to go STACY!!! You keep this up you may put Accurate Molds out of business. :roll: As usual Great Shooting Lew! You know how to show what bullets can or can't do. :lewis:
Thanks Ed! That will never happen. LOL!
I still struggle too much with figuring alloy shrinkage. Tom hits them dead on from what I hear.
All my profile cutters are hand cut, with a homemade radius cutting tool and the finish it leaves is far less than great, which transfers to the bullet nose. Those small (sometimes large) tooling marks don’t affect bullet flight, but, I would do almost anything to not have them there.
I tried lapping the nose of that mould, it was just too time consuming to be worth it. As you can see, it didn’t really affect them much...
Someday, I’ll own a precision tool grinder, and the tool marks will (sorta) disappear.. That bullet didn’t shoot great for me, until I got the bore dirty. I think I’m sizing them a touch small. My three shots on a dirty bore went 1-1/8”. My two groups on clean bores were both 2” plus.
Also, we’ve all seen what Lewis can do!

Im excited to see Lewis stretch that out there. Hopefully it goes as well as the preliminary testing.
I’m gonna cut that mould one more time, bring the radius back closer to the first land instead of having such a long straight section there, and maybe slightly shorten it to like 1.350” or so, and slightly increase the radius on the nose, or maybe a small .175-.200” meplat. More of a longer range hunting bullet.

Im excited to see Lewis stretch that out there. Hopefully it goes as well as the preliminary testing.
I’m gonna cut that mould one more time, bring the radius back closer to the first land instead of having such a long straight section there, and maybe slightly shorten it to like 1.350” or so, and slightly increase the radius on the nose, or maybe a small .175-.200” meplat. More of a longer range hunting bullet.

I will get a good Batch of these Cast up of Pure Lead, and i stil want to try the 1-20 Alloy just because, I will stretch a Barrel Out SOON with this Bullet! The Mold Performed FLAWLESSLY, is this that New Ductile Iron Stacey? Your Vent Lines are Cut BEAUTIFULLY, This is not only a Really Good Bullet, But a Darn Nice Mold as Well :lewis:

I will get a good Batch of these Cast up of Pure Lead, and i stil want to try the 1-20 Alloy just because, I will stretch a Barrel Out SOON with this Bullet! The Mold Performed FLAWLESSLY, is this that New Ductile Iron Stacey? Your Vent Lines are Cut BEAUTIFULLY, This is not only a Really Good Bullet, But a Darn Nice Mold as Well :lewis:
It is the ductile iron. Thank you for the compliments! Hang on to that mould for a month if you want to. I won’t need it for awhile yet. I’ve got at least a month before I’ll get time to mess with it again, plus, I’ve already got about 80-100 cast waiting to be shot. I hope that little 410 hollow point does as good....it shot decent out of my 24 twist White. I think it will shine in a 30-50 twist rifle at moderate to fast speeds (for BP)...

It is the ductile iron. Thank you for the compliments! Hang on to that mould for a month if you want to. I won’t need it for awhile yet. I’ve got at least a month before I’ll get time to mess with it again, plus, I’ve already got about 80-100 cast waiting to be shot. I hope that little 410 hollow point does as good....it shot decent out of my 24 twist White. I think it will shine in a 30-50 twist rifle at moderate to fast speeds (for BP)...

I’ll take good care of it :lewis: It’s about to get Hot again From some Molten 1-20 Alloy :)

What did you figure the BC at on this Bullet? That is something i have never Learned to do? Me and Math don’t play well together, I’m horrible at it! I need to sit down and MAKE myself Learn how to Calculate BC, That Calculator that i posted awhile back seemed pretty Straight Forward, Yet stil more complicated than i understood? That’s why i posted it for you to mess with :D

It was difficult to navigate as best as I could enter the information, I think it was .540

It was difficult to navigate as best as I could enter the information, I think it was .540
Just looked back at the post. .530 BC is what I came up with. I’m sure it’s off some. That calculator is a little tough to use cause it doesn’t seem to really fit the bullet, should be close though.

Lewis,

Once you get some time with this bullet and whichever barrel it shoots best from, you should give some serious thought to the ONE MILE MILK JUG SHOOT at the Long Range Shooters of Utah's range.

It's ONLY a mere 1,760 yards to hit a target measuring 5.96" wide × 10.25" tall.

And, it will ONLY REQUIRE 0.33864 M.O.A., with NO WIND, to hit the milk JUG at a mile's distance.

No problem. You're Idaholewis!! We know you can do it!!!@$%^(

Seriously though, this seems like a challenge right up your alley. With this new bullet, and it's fantastic BC, it's perfect for such a shot.

Haven't you already shot out to 1200, or so, yards?

Attachments

• ballistic chart.PNG
    ballistic chart.PNG
    294.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1800 chart.PNG
    1800 chart.PNG
    323.4 KB · Views: 10
I’ll take good care of it :lewis: It’s about to get Hot again From some Molten 1-20 Alloy :)

What did you figure the BC at on this Bullet? That is something i have never Learned to do? Me and Math don’t play well together, I’m horrible at it! I need to sit down and MAKE myself Learn how to Calculate BC, That Calculator that i posted awhile back seemed pretty Straight Forward, Yet stil more complicated than i understood? That’s why i posted it for you to mess with :D

Lewis, 52Bore wrote an article that was published in the NMLRA Muzzle Blast magazine on how to simply calculate your own BC. He also posted it on MM here: Calculate your own BC

Curtis

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back