Searching for .50 cal bp pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsartist

Reaction score
I'm in search of a good .50 cal bp pistol. Cva and traditions are both on back order and at least 90 days out. Anyone have anything to offer or leads.

Yes that is what I am searching for honestly but you can't buy new cva inline pistols or traditions since both companies discontinued the in lines years ago.

CVA made a batch within the last year for muzzle-loaders.com. A couple guys here bought them. It looks like they made another order for them too. Traditions as far as i know did quit making theirs completely.

Give them a call and see if they have an ETA on another batch.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cva-optima-v2-pistol-pp221sm.html

Last edited:
The Traditions Vortec pistols were not much fun. They maxxed out at 70 grains of powder and that didn't allow much room to develop loads. They were dirty shooting creatures too. I had two of them and couldn't really get either to perform all that well. Both were sold to the same person. The Optima pistol, now that's a whole other animal. I bought one several years ago on the first run, sold it for more than I paid for it and bought another when the V2 series came out. My V2 will one hole 5 shots at the 50 yards I sight it for using either Hornady 240 grain, .44 cal XTP's or 225 grain, .44 cal Barnes XPB bullets, both the green crush ribs ahead of 63 weighed grains of bh209 powder. Winchester blue box 209 primers. I'd buy new because you'll likely find that used guns are going for as much as new ones.

If you go on the traditional muzzleloader site. Several members there have pistols for sale. One just listed is a very nice looking CVA Hawkin 50 cal. Percussion gun. Asking price is $ 200.00.

I just send you a message by pm, deermanok.

I've been on the fence, over getting one, for quite a while. I just placed a backorder for one. Hope Mrs.michiganmuzzy ain't too mad that im buying ANOTHER ml.

What are your expectations from the gun? Are you going to hunt it?

I think you can scope it in Michigan? My eyes got me but in the end I figured things out. When I bought my V2 series I scoped it right away with a straight fixed 4 power and it didn't go well. Then I tried the current 2X7 Leapers and had a small issue with focus so I put a 2.5 mil red dot on it and that just dealt me fits. I re-read the Leaper's literature and put the scope back on and tried a little finer focus and that was the answer.

The Leapers scope was sighted at 50 yards with 63 weighed grains of 209 powder and .44 cal, 240 grain XTPs in green crush ribs and had solid 3/4" to 1" groups. When I removed it all I did was loosen the ring clamps, which are substantial. After figuring the red dot wasn't a happening thing I put the Leapers back on, tightened the clamps and shot the same everything except the bullet was a 225 grain,.44 cal Barnes XPB. Identical group and identical point of aim. I've re-shot using the XTPs because I have a couple boxes of them for paper work. I'd look dead serious at that Leapers scope for the gun.

I shot a nine point at about 12 yards with an XTP load using the pistol and as the buck walked under the stand he was coughing out chunks of lung. He went about 30 yards is all....dead on his feet.

When I got my Optima pistol, I scoped it with an older model Tasco 2.5 power. It was ok shooting at paper but I found that the crosshairs were just too fine and hard to see in the woods.
Looked at one of those Leapers but ended up buying a set of CVA Durasights. I'm very familiar with using fiberoptic sights and they work well for me.
My last trip to the range, the gun was putting all my shots in pretty much the same hole at 50 yards.
My load was 70 grains of 3f Swiss and Hornady's 240 grain PA conicals.

I just got notified that my Optima pistol has shipped! I figured it would be a month or longer. I just ordered it a couple days ago. Maybe i can hunt with it this year.

I just got notified that my Optima pistol has shipped! I figured it would be a month or longer. I just ordered it a couple days ago. Maybe i can hunt with it this year.
Very nice. A good red dot or decent scope and you'll be good to go. I've got a simple 2x20 mounted on mine. I shoot pretty much the same load as Mr Tom....a 225 gr, 44 caliber Barnes XPB with a Harvester crush rib sabot. I'm using 90 gr by volume of BH209. It'll punch 1" or less groups at 50 yards off the bench. Shot it at 100 yards for the first time the other week and put two within 1.25 inches. I quit while I was ahead and didn't shoot a third. 😁 Enjoy your new pistol. They're pretty fun.

I had the pistol out yesterday for a while. Still dead nuts on at 50 yards. I did 5 shots into about an inch hole. I was with a buddy that bought a new Knight this summer and he's been struggling with 100 yard accuracy under 2 1/2" always had a couple wild ones in a five shot volley. I re-tightened his rings and bases and used a little loc-tite on them when I torqued them up. We let his gun rest for 15 minutes while I popped a couple off with the pistol at 100 yards. About the same result as Chris W got at 100 with his. After the rings set up some we shot about twenty shots using a couple different powder charges and settled on 105 grains by volume with a black crush rib and a 250 grain Barnes Expander. He'll be hunting this load. This is his first muzzie and now he's very happy with 1" at 100. He has a cc permit and carries a 9mm. He is not a fan of the load I use in the Optima pistol. lol But he sort of a puss.

Latest posts

Back