seating pressure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoobilly

Reaction score
question on how are you applying the bullet seating pressure on your SML?

I have a encore Bergera 45/70 older slufoot conversion barrel I bought a year ago. Im not getting proper pressure on the H4198 powder and will get a dud every 3-5 shots

this is with a clean breech plug etc. Have been using the CCI magnum 209A primers and have Federal 209A primers coming hopefully yet this week

blue harvester crush sabot & 200gn Hornady SST's using a 3 piece rod from Arrowhead and a spinjag

Try a smooth harvester blue sabot and maybe a wad behind it. You shouldn't have to compress the powder charge. Are you allowing the barrel time to cool between shots?

Last edited:
When you have a “dud”, be certain that you reseat that bullet!

Even a common load of 4198 makes pretty low peak with a 200gr. Consider trying Reloder7 instead. It does pretty well at lower peak pressures because its dbl based. Its just not as clean.

As mentioned ditch the Crushrib and use the regular light blue sabot. Sagebrush fiber wads are cheap and will improve the seal.

Never had a dud before. If the bullet is not seated tight I have heard of I believe it was called a string fire from the bullet being basically too far ahead of the powder. This can also cause dangerous pressures. Could also be bad primers. just make sure your bullet is seated tight and mark your rod.

Never had a dud before. If the bullet is not seated tight I have heard of I believe it was called a string fire from the bullet being basically too far ahead of the powder. This can also cause dangerous pressures. Could also be bad primers. just make sure your bullet is seated tight and mark your rod.
Savage breech. Conversion done by Slufoot several years ago. So you just use one hand and push down till you hit the witness mark? Not actual seating pressure?
When you have a “dud”, be certain that you reseat that bullet!
when I say did, it’s not just a dud. It’s actually popping the sabot and bullet out. Just not going bang. You can actually see the bullet arc about 20’ out in front of you through the scope

If its tossing the bullet and sabot that far out of the barrel its either way way too loose or its igniting a tiny bit of the 4198.

Make sure the flash channel is clear using a 5/32 drill bit also. That is the correct size for the Savage pug.

If its tossing the bullet and sabot that far out of the barrel its either way way too loose or its igniting a tiny bit of the 4198.

Make sure the flash channel is clear using a 5/32 drill bit also. That is the correct size for the Savage pug.
Hence my question on hand pressure

Seating pressure and loading pressure are not the same thing. If the sabot goes down the bore with less than 30lbs its more than likely gunna be too loose. Using 4198 i would want it as tight as i was comfortable loading it.

SEATING it harder on the powder wont do anything if its too loose for the bore.

The first and least expensive thing you need to change are those sabots for the smooth light blues.

Seating pressure and loading pressure are not the same thing. If the sabot goes down the bore with less than 30lbs its more than likely gunna be too loose. Using 4198 i would want it as tight as i was comfortable loading it.

SEATING it harder on the powder wont do anything if its too loose for the bore.

The first and least expensive thing you need to change are those sabots for the smooth light blues.
ok update.. I am using the light colored blue sabots. I was confused on which ones I had. previous owner has shot this for years and no problems. Only difference is right now I don't have the Federal primers. but I have 500 on the way that I ordered.

the powder is halfway burnt? have to clean it good whenever it has done this. I also have used 2 other types of primers. winchester 209's and the Magnum series CCI 209's
onlything I can think of is that I am not getting the sabot bullets down hard enough on the powder

I shot it this summer to site in a scope, took that off and just put on a Burris Drop Tine for smokaloader season here in Indiana.

When I go to site this in, it will be shot with periods of waiting to insure the sabot isn't ruined from heat.

Does the breech plug shoulder show gas cutting/ is it sealing? A leaky system will prevent the powder from igniting consistently. I would follow GMB's suggestion of the Reloader 7 as it is very reliable even in colder temps. Question, when you push the bullet down the bore does it go down with consistent force or does it get a little loose just before seating? If it gets a little loose at the bottom you have a bulged barrel. and will experience similar to what you are explaining. If it is bulged I would advise against using it.

Does the breech plug shoulder show gas cutting/ is it sealing? A leaky system will prevent the powder from igniting consistently. I would follow GMB's suggestion of the Reloader 7 as it is very reliable even in colder temps. Question, when you push the bullet down the bore does it go down with consistent force or does it get a little loose just before seating? If it gets a little loose at the bottom you have a bulged barrel. and will experience similar to what you are explaining. If it is bulged I would advise against using it.
Solid push all the way down the barrel. It’s never had a misfire and then another primer shot again to cause problems. The breech is good to go. Seriously thinking I need to really push down hard and see what happens next

Try to knurl (fatten up) your bullets for a snugger fit? Just a suggestion. When I used 209's, which I no longer do, I could fire a regular Win. 209, primer only, and see the spark exit the barrel. I would check this in late evening so I could see it. If you can see spark exit the barrel it is sufficient to ignite powder so tightness of sabot bullet combo is likely to blame. Just some thoughts.

Breach is good to go?...Have you or have you not cleaned the breach plug with a 5/32nd drill bit?

If not remove the vent liner from the plug and make 100% certain you got a 5/32 flash channel.

Harvester has 2 light blue sabots. One with crushribs and one without. You want the ones without.

Also i noticed you are using a 55gr load of 4198. That is a really low pressure load. It should be under 25kpsi. That is close to being pressure starved. You can get about that much speed with 34gr of N110 and its rock solid dependable. Might need a wad under the sabot but it should be fine.

Back