Second Firearm Season Begins Today in IL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sitting here drinking my coffee before getting ready to head out for our second gun season here in IL. I will be using my father's 40 year old custom .54 sidelock with a patch and ball. Filed the front sight down to where it is hitting at my POA, so I'm excited to get out there. I'll have my .44 Magnum Taurus Raging Bull revolver as my backup, but I have wanted to take a deer with this ML for over a year now. On the last morning of first gun season this year I had the cap go off without any ignition on a nice doe at about 50 yards (fire channel was plugged with debris and I had forgotten to snap a cap before loading). Snapped my cap last night and loaded her up, so any doe within 75 yards of me this morning will hopefully end up in my freezer (tagged out on bucks until the late season, but I have been fortunate to take a couple nice bucks between my bow and new smokeless .45). So, good luck today to all of you in IL, as well as anywhere else, whether with firearm or bow. I will hopefully report back later with a success story.

Back