Sending them HEAVY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
THE CHARGES INDICATED IN THIS POST...…. ARE NOT …….. FOR PRODUCTION MUZZLELOADERS! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS INFORMATION IN ANY WAY. READ AND FOLLOW YOUR RIFLES OWNER'S MANUAL.

Finally a nice enough day to shoot and try a few things. Very little wind for a change. Shooting was completed at home at 100yds, Most of all, I wanted to see what and how the 300gr SST would shoot, in the sabot, with a maximum charge of BH209 in my BP Xpress. The charge today was 160grs volume, 112grs by weight. REMEMBER THE FIRST COUPLE SENTENCES IN THS POST!

I did not make any adjustments what so ever to the scope, having it already zeroed for the Fury 325gr star tip, which I'm using for hunting this year. And it works excellent ;)
The saboted 300gr SST shot considerably lower, even with heavier charges than used with the Fury. Goes to show, zero the rifle with your intended hunting bullet.
All my BH209 charges are weighed on a balance scale to 112grs, placed in Lane's tubes. Bullets were seated hard (thump) on the propellant and with two hands. Tried to get the seating forces as close as possible.

First photo shows the line between the groups with and without the wad..... .518"x.060

IMG-1496.jpg

The chronograph data with and without the wad....

Without the wad:
IMG-1499.jpg

With the wad:

IMG-1501.jpg

After shooting the SST's, I switched back over (remember, no scope adjustments) to the 105gr by weight charge of BH and the Fury 325gr star tip. I'd say its still on.... :)

IMG-1497.jpg

That's a shooter and I'm hoping mine will end up very close!! LOL...I wont hit 2300....but I'm wanting 2100+, when I start my latest project next week with a full bore 50!! I hope you don't find your fury (or any) bullet and it blows all the way through at 400yds!! Seriously. I do hope it blows all way through and leaves a awesome wound channel....the 400 was just a crazy distance low velocity dart !!

fishhawk2700 said:
I think you're ready. If you shoot a deer, I hope you can find the bullet.

I got that 3.5yo 8pt on the 3rd day. The bullet did not pass through. I cut the hell out of a finger with an insanely sharp kife, so I did't look for it. The processor will try to find it. Only shot was a high and slightly in front of the shoulder. I assume..... its in the opposit shoulder. It dropped him in his tracks straight down. I'm hoping they find it and if not, I'll check the gut pile in the spring. Fury 325gr star tip.

Be careful of that finger! I almost lost my thumb by a poke of my knife while dressing out a Russian Boar. Dr, said if I waited one more day he would have had to amputate it. Thankfully the heavy dosage of Anti-Biotics via intravenous did the trick.

edmehlig said:
Be careful of that finger! I almost lost my thumb by a poke of my knife while dressing out a Russian Boar. Dr, said if I waited one more day he would have had to amputate it. Thankfully the heavy dosage of Anti-Biotics via intravenous did the trick.

I took really great care of it. There's only a slight flat spot now, the missing part. I've been lucky over the years, but its like they say, 'its not if, its when'.

Nobody mentioned it, maybe didn't see it....

The single shot with the lower velocity, shot WITHOUT the wad, loaded much easier than all the other loadings. I may not have swabbed it dry enough.
I also had another shot, the first, that didn't register because I forgot to hit the start button. That did register on the chronograph and at 2393fps.
So the spread wasn't bad with an average velocity of 2395fps if you throw out the easy load charge. SMOKE'N......

Latest posts

Back