Seneca sidelock issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My .40 Seneca hammer lock mechanism is not working right out of the blue. The hammer will either not lock back at all or stay locked back when it does catch. It will seelf release or the slightest movement, it drops. But its also has started to FTF the first hammer drop, then fire on the second.
I've had the thing apart, cleaned & oiled, inspected & saw nothing noticeable broken or bent. I put it back together & its no better. Any Advice is appreciated.
On a second note, my hammer where the relief slit is, a small piece has broken off & now the relief opening is 1/4" wide. IDK how that did that. I found a cpl on ebay for 99.00. I got an offer to buy one for 75.00. Is that outrageous or am is parts for an ole sidelock gone off the rails too?

I've read that sometimes the adjustment screw on the sear, or tumbler part can work themselves in too tight causing the hammer to not stay at full or half cock. You might have to check it out to see. Take the lock off so you can cock it and watch what is going on.

Post a picture of the inside of the lock. What did you make an offer on, another hammer?
Ok I'll have to do that from my phone when it charges up again. Thank you for your reply.
I haven't made an offer on a new hammer yet ( not sure I " need one " as much as I dont want anything damaged on my gun ). I just
" watched" the 2 I found & one sent me a 25% off offer which made it 75.00 w/free shipping. I still think thats nuts. I've had the lockiing mech apart & didnt see anything " wrong ", I'll get a pic or 2 posted shortly. Thanks again

I've read that sometimes the adjustment screw on the sear, or tumbler part can work themselves in too tight causing the hammer to not stay at full or half cock. You might have to check it out to see. Take the lock off so you can cock it and watch what is going on.
Thank you .I did take that all apart, cleaned/oiled a lil, inspected everything. I did not see anything obviously wrong. I put everything back together & no better. Are you referring to the bottom right screw of the 3 in the outer plate?

Last edited:
Thank you Bob, I did take that all apart, cleaned/oiled a lil, inspected everything. I did not see anything obviously wrong. I put everything back together & no better. Are you referring to the bottom right screw of the 3 in the outer plate?
There should be a little screw with a spring on it. That's what I was trying to explain.

Ok I'll have to do that from my phone when it charges up again. Thank you for your reply.
I haven't made an offer on a new hammer yet ( not sure I " need one " as much as I dont want anything damaged on my gun ). I just
" watched" the 2 I found & one sent me a 25% off offer which made it 75.00 w/free shipping. I still think thats nuts. I've had the lockiing mech apart & didnt see anything " wrong ", I'll get a pic or 2 posted shortly. Thanks again
Keep in mind those parts do not get cheaper and they definitely are getting scarce!/Ed

Does anyone know if the White Mntn Carbine uses the same lock as the seneca? If so i will loan you my lock, Ninering62 to help you figure out whats wrong with yours, and use it to shoots some of them Oceolas if you cant fix yours. Got some other stuff i still need to send to you anyway

Does anyone know if the White Mntn Carbine uses the same lock as the seneca? If so i will loan you my lock, Ninering62 to help you figure out whats wrong with yours, and use it to shoots some of them Oceolas if you cant fix yours. Got some other stuff i still need to send to you anyway
The White Mountain Carbine lock is not interchangable with the Seneca. Only the Cherokee lock is. They are both smaller than the standard Hawken/Renegade style lock

Apparently Ed, Thanks. I was a tad taken aback at 99.00 hammers for a seneca.
$99 is about the going rate for those hammers....high but the going price. $75 was not a bad offer. Those hammers are smaller. The only ones that are interchangeable for the Seneca are the ones for the Cherokee and Patriot

if i was going to spend that much on just a hammer, i would get hold of someone like TOTW or longrifles-pr.com and ask which lock that they have, would swap righ into the seneca. Whole brand new L&R locks are around $110. With hammers on them.

Very kind & cool Muzzy TY

Latest posts

Back