Seneca sidelock issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the pics of my lock mechanism & parts as good as I could take.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 7
Here's the last 3 pics. Hope the detail is good enough. I've put everything back together again & I left the screw that goes thru the sear a lil loose & it's holding in full cocked position so far. I stretch the spring just a lil bit too. I'll be tryin it out later today ( after I play tractor mechanic ) I'll post how it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
if i was going to spend that much on just a hammer, i would get hold of someone like TOTW or longrifles-pr.com and ask which lock that they have, would swap righ into the seneca. Whole brand new L&R locks are around $110. With hammers on them.
I agree with you that it is to high, but neither L&R nor any other lock maker that I know of, makes one to interchange with the Seneca or Cherokee without removing wood from the lock mortise, which I wouldn't recommend.

Is that worn or does it just look weird in the photo?
View attachment 14109
I'm glad the pics turned out well enough to see that. Iphone4 still in the hands of a neanderthal. It does appear to be a little worn but it does not appear to be bent or broken. I have no other reference to sit next to it, nor have I ever had a prob ( & cause to take a sidelock mechanism apart) before like this with either of the 2 first sidelocks & got when I was a youngin. I'm mechanically inclined well enough for most things. I've got it back together now & between stretching the little sear spring a little bit & barely snuggin the sear pin/screw screw, I didnt do anything to it. Its locking in half-cock & full-cock now & solid lock up. I'll send a few Sierra 150gr 10mm JHP's downrange this afternoon hopefully & we'll see how this lil darlin does. I'll keep ya posted. Thank everyone for your replies, time & help. Much appreciated. I have some purdy cool plans for this Seneca.

Does anyone know if the White Mntn Carbine uses the same lock as the seneca? If so i will loan you my lock, Ninering62 to help you figure out whats wrong with yours, and use it to shoots some of them Oceolas if you cant fix yours. Got some other stuff i still need to send to you anyway
I came across a Lyman Deerstalker on GB the other day. THAT STOCK is EXACTLY what I want to put this Seneca in, or something very close to that, that would make it possible to do. Suggestions Plzzzzzz.

Back