Setting up a "Northwest" .50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Voorhees

Reaction score
I want to hear some advice on which conical bullet is a solid choice for whitetail,moose and hopefully elk someday.

I have always shot saboted bullets from my .50 cals and I am new to "conical" style.

I assume It is the same as loading a saboted bullet,just without the sabot?

The two choices I can find so far up here are the Hornady fpb 350 gr and the Great Plains in 385 gr.

I am leaning towards the fpb's from the few reviews I have read.

I appreciate the info.Thanks.

My new favorite conical is the No Excuse .502 420 grain. Sized to my barrel, via a sizing pack, it's by far the most accurate conical I've tried. And it's preferred charge is only 80 grains Pyrodex Select by volume, so the recoil isn't bad. It also flies a little flatter than some lighter conicals I've tried with bigger charges. 2 1/2" high at 50yds equals dead on at 100yds, where as I usually figured 3" high at 50 to be on at 100. Don't ask me to explain how that happens. And with 420 grains, it lands with some authority that you might want for moose and elk. Took a cow elk with it in September, and she went right down, drt. Two lungs and a little bit of shoulder for complete penetration.

like others have said, if you are willing to cast and size your own, it's hard to go wrong with that route. You get to be the QC for them that way, and you can pick a design you really like and works well in your rifle, rather than what ever the MFG's offer (not a lot of selection aside from pistol weight bullets with jackets).

For .50, I would think NOE 515-447-FN, NOE 502-572-RF, AM 50-590P or AM (accurate molds) 50-450S would be ideal for Elk, Moose, or Bison. Like Doc White, I like longer, heavier bullets, in order to ensure adequate penetration on larger animals, rather than trying to chase velocity numbers.

For Deer, something along the lines of a NOE 502-322-SWC (with HP pin, should drop around 298gr), AM 50-200P, AM 50-255V or AM 50-297P would be well suited to Deer. It doesn't take much to kill deer, so I would prefer a flat shooting load out to 2-300yd, and doesn't beat me around.

A decent compromise bullet would be something like the Idaholewis's AM 50-415i or an AM 50-400P or NOE 517-404-SP

Between the two Hornady bullets you mention, I would go with the Great Plains Bullet. Nothing against jackets, but lead does a really good job for less money and fuss trying to get them to shoot, in my experience.

I wont be casting my own.I just want to find an accurate bullet,that will be tough and kill out to 100-150 yards,maybe.

I am going to buy my bullets up here.I will keep searching but those 2 seem to be common.

I will find a load and bullet and stick with it.I am going to set up either my optima v2 or new accura mr x for " northwest" hunting, I plan on putting fiber optics on it,and a quick detach ring/scope setup.

Casting my own just does not interest me at this time.Thanks for all the info so far!

We have been using the Bull Shop 400gr. LGP for elk and deer - excellent bullet. As to size you will have to size your bore. Dan will size them for you to your bore once you tell him what size bore you have.

This is a recovered 400.

Bullshop-503x400-LGP.jpg

Here is a collection of the lead conicals that he makes.

bullshopBullets.jpg

If you do not have to shoot lead then there are some full bore copper.lead bullets out there will work also.

I have no laws stating that I have too shoot a certain bullet,powder,scope,etc. I am just going to set up one of my .50 cals so I can.I will be purchasing all my bullets in Canada. So I will have to look around and see what I can locate,I will have more time after bow season ends Dec 31.

I appreciate info but I do want to keep my money I spend up here.

Bull shop bullets are good. No excuses are also good. Not sure of any Canadian bullets. Bull shop is in Montana, that’s close

Last edited:
I have no laws stating that I have too shoot a certain bullet,powder,scope,etc. I am just going to set up one of my .50 cals so I can.I will be purchasing all my bullets in Canada. So I will have to look around and see what I can locate,I will have more time after bow season ends Dec 31.

Will any of the mould companies, like Accurate ship to Canada? Or are there Canadian mould manufacturers?

[/QUOTE
I'm also in Canada, I know it's almost impossible to aquire any muzzleloading supplies or accessories over here

I have never really had an issue buying anything related to powder or bullets but trying to locate 2 cva northwest conversion kits right now are a pain in the ass. I did a little looking and reading and I may try some of the Federal Bore locks and hornady fpb to start with.

I have no intention of casting bullets or ordering from the USA. I have tons of great options that I have access to up here.

The price of bullets, or powder etc is not a concern. I just received 2 30 packs of 300 gr xtp as well.

I have my Optima v2 shooting the 240 gr xtp and 2 50 gr pellets of t7 and I am more than happy with my groups at 100 yards. If you read enough online,every bullet, or powder,gun etc will have its loyal defenders or loyal bashers.

I try and read all,then try something for myself.

I have never had any issues killing animals with saboted bullets and t7 pellets, I just want to set up a new gun, and do it different than my others.

Last edited:
I have tried to locate 2 cva conversion northwest conversion kits in Canada the last week with no luck yet,I did purchase 3 fiber optic sights and may try the federal bor locks in 350 gr to start with for a "conical" But, I think I will worry about using these new guns as a 209. The chances are so slim that Id ever "need" to use a northwest legal .50 cal to hunt are not worth getting bent,not being able to find them,I will eventually.

I ordered 1000 more primers,and I have also ordered more xtp 240 gr,sabots and more 300 gr xtp and sabots.

I will be gifting some of these Items along with the Cva Wolf for a Christmas gift.

I let an average 8pt go with my optima v2 last week at 40 yards,I already have my freezer full as I took 2 nice bucks so far and I am waiting on a wall hanger,24 days left with a bow.

The dealer that Cva customer service sent me to, to find the conversion kits was a joke with a 4 word answer via email. Typical Canadian small business,not worth dealing with.I hope he goes bankrupt. I sent Cva the email he sent me and have not heard back. They need to know, how their dealers treat customers.

I have not heard back yet.

My cva accurra mr x arrived today.I took some time and cleaned it,put it together and I am very impressed with this new gun, I really like my optima v2 that I bought last summer but this is the nicest feeling and an absolute perfect fit. I received the 209 buckhorn and 209 regular breech plug and the quake sling with gun, the camo finish and nitride looks great. I cant wait until the new year and get out and test it out. The accurra mr x is worth the extra cash over the optima v2 I believe.

I just tested some bullets and sabots and found them real tight, I tested the hornady 240 gr xtp mags and the tc xtp 300 gr mag,both with supplied sabots. I will be ordering some harvester sabots in the new year to test with these bullets.

Latest posts

Back