SG Series WhiteLightning .504

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently acquired one in good condition. It has some pitting but so shallow I can’t feel it with cleaning patches which is how I got it. It had probably never been cleaned but being stainless I think that helped. I have several muzzleloaders but, I’m in love with this one, I hope it shoots sabots well. I have harvester sabots and Hornady XTP’s 240gr .44cal we’ll see, I don’t mind going to 300gr bullets. It has see thru mounts that I have taken off and would gladly mail to someone if you want them. Message me if someone wants them. I’m looking forward to shooting this one!! Btw, I took a guy hunting back in the 90’s and he had a white. I heard him shoot and I got down to see what he got, he had missed and I spooked the deer walking to his stand. He shot it trotting and centered a beech sapling that was the size of a barrel on a baseball bat. The big bullet plowed through the tree and hit the deer in the shoulder probably 30’ passed the sapling with a 1” entry wound there was a chunk of lead on the offside shoulder that weighed about 1/2 pound I joked at the time. I was impressed, to say the least at that performance, and I’m impressed with how well thought out this gun is even today. It is extremely simple and yet completely functional and has an unbelievable trigger. Anything I need to know about this gun?

While they will shoot sabots really well they were designed for big lead conicals.. a lot easier loading and shooting multiple times with conicals vs sabots plus from Whites they are just as or more accurate then sabots.

If your gun has the birchwood stock, which most did, beware the pistol grip is prone to break with stout loads. I don't have a Lightning, but do have a Thunder shotgun with the same stock. I bedded my stock and so far no problems. Some folks have installed a wooden dowel in the Lightning pistol grip for better insurance to avoid any future problem.

Thank you for letting me know about the stock I would not have thought of that. I’ll look around for some lead conicals to shoot in it. I have around 100 buffalo bullets but, I doubt they are the ones it is designed for. Let me know which bullet makers I need to look into. Thanks

bullshop and no excuses i prefer no excuses but many prefer bullshop

If I have my choice I like Bullshop, no excuse are very accurate but his lubing job leaves a lot to be desired, bullets are caked with lube and are pretty messy when shooting. Not taking anything away from the bullet because they are accurate but so are Bullshops and they are very nicely lubed.Just a personal preference.

Back