Sharing my thoughts and seeking some direction....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertyman777

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I'm relatively new to muzzleloading. To date, my son and I have put together a kit and he has purchased another flintlock to go with it. He really likes the traditional stuff. I like it too but I actually have something else in mind.

With everything I think I would like to do with muzzle loading I will probably need more than one rifle. It is usually that way.

1). First off is there any such thing as an inline muzzleloader that shoots round ball. I'm assuming that this means a 1/66 twist? Can faster twists be used if I drop the powder throw down?

2). Next, is there an inline muzzleloader that shoots non-sabot conicals.

3). Does anyone pour their own projectiles.

4). Also concerning sabots, does anyone shoot roundball with them? How about pistol projectiles?

5). Finally, concerning sabots, what would you use if you weren't able to purchase commercially manufactured sabots?

I know this is a lot. Any input is welcome, I'll really appreciate you help. Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
First, welcome.

No matter what, you always need more than one gun. No matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!

answer to
1. Not that I am aware of but you will be hearing from a broad base of individuals who may have options for you. If one is not commercially available a custom gun could be made.
2. The rate of twist and caliber determines the best weight of projectile for a gun. Yes there are all kinds of guns that will shoot non-sabot conicals. And shoot them super accurate.
3. Lots of guys pour their own conicals and use them in rifles with twists designed for them. They are a thing of beauty when done properly.
4. I think some fellows do use reduced charges to shoot saboted round balls.
5. I think the answer is paper patching. Many do with outstanding success. Go to you tube and search Idaho Lewis. He has several videos that will answer many of your questions. Especially about conicals, pouring your own conicals.

Others will chime in with very specific information. You have come to the right place.

Enjoy

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Pretty much all inlines are a fast twist. Best for saboted bullets or conicals. You can shoot a round ball out of a fast twist barrel but you'd have to experiment with powder charges to find an accurate load.
Of all the components needed to shoot a muzzleloader, bullets are the most plentiful and available.
Good shooting.

1)Wasnt that bullpup muzzleloader a slow roundball twist? Rare tho and not made in a long time. Yes drop the powder to about half i think would be a good start.
2)almost all inlines are made to shoot lots of different saboted or sabotless(conical) well. Especially when you find out its favorite load.
3)i cast and its one of the best things about muzzleloading. I shoot them out of several different MLs. Inline and sidelock.
4)hornady offers a saboted version of round ball. To date i havent found anyone shooting it. Roundballs in inlines are usually shot with reduced powder loads for any kind of accuracy, like half loads.(ive never done it so...) Pistol bullets are very well suited to ML shooting because of similar velocities from pistols and MLs.
5)paper patching or cloth patch like a round ball uses are what comes to mind if you cant get sabots. Sabots should be cheap and easy to get unless your in antarctica or a navy sub. Bore size conicals are the better answer if you cant get sabots. They are a better choice than sabots anyway, imho.

Traditions made a inline for PRBs. IIRC they made it for Scouts or 4H clubs. I think it was based on a Buck Hunter rifle?
zeAhhL9.jpg

Old H&Rs from the early 1970s had some in PRB twists too IIRC.

Latest posts

Back