Shaver's bore polishing - it works!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offshore

Reaction score
I have a .45 cal T/C Hawken barrel that I had tricked-out by Mr. Hoyt. . .I had it relined to a 1:26 twist. For several range sessions trying all sorts of powders, primers, powder weights and wads to get my cast bullet shooting the way I want it with less than preferred accuracy, I gave the Shaver's method a try. I actually did it twice. With a clean bore, I ran the oiled patch with 000 steel wool down the barrel 100 strokes (down and back as 1 stroke) then cleaned the bore thoroughly. The next shooting session my groups went from a 6" buckshot pattern at 100 yards to 3" 5-shot groups!!! And, I was able to find a load that grouped acceptable enough to work with. I repeated the Shaver's method again only this time I incorporated Flitz polishing compound to the steel wool and ran 150 strokes down the barrel. This past range session my 100 yard 5-shot groups are about 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" and bullets touching!!! I'm very happy now with this barrel and load. . .it just needed a little elbow grease. Thank you Lee Shaver and Idaho Lewis.

My load:
Accurate Mold 46-320C at 30:1 lead/pewter 310gr. sized .454" w/ home brew lube
81gr. (by weight) Swiss 2F
1/8" paperbacked foam board over powder wad - hand punched
RWS musket cap
1 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with peep sights.

You are welcome! :lewis: EVERY Rifle/Barrel i own gets this treatment, i do this before i ever bother shooting them. Lee’s Method also makes for easier Cleaning the Bore, It’s been a Win Win for me :lewis:

Absolutely THE best new bbl "break-in" and have been doing it for years on ALL guns, no exceptions.

I should add that I use 0000 steel wool and use a muzzle protector.

Back