Shed Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddy's neighbor up in northern Maine had a good hunt last weekend.
I plan to go shed hunting around here in Oklahoma in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 41
I could hunt forever here in Ohio and never find one of those unless I went to the zoo. Would be a bit easier to spot than a whitetail deer antler but with all the snow up there they could be buried and difficult to see. Nice day of hunting, did not realize they dropped this early.

My buddy's neighbor up in northern Maine had a good hunt last weekend.
I plan to go shed hunting around here in Oklahoma in the next few weeks.
I’ve been shed hunting in NW Oklahoma for about 20 years, and I don’t even start looking for them until mid March at the earliest. I use my game cams to monitor if the bucks still have horns. Most years I don’t start looking for shed until spring turkey season opens. Last year (2020), I found 33 sheds and 122 morel mushrooms which was my best year ever. :thumb:

The deer are dropping already here in SE Minnesota. I saw a buck minus one side the other day.

I’ve been shed hunting in NW Oklahoma for about 20 years, and I don’t even start looking for them until mid March at the earliest. I use my game cams to monitor if the bucks still have horns. Most years I don’t start looking for shed until spring turkey season opens. Last year (2020), I found 33 sheds and 122 morel mushrooms which was my best year ever. :thumb:
Good to know. You ever Turkey hunted at the Black Kettle national grasslands? I wanted to go there last year but ended up hunting at Lake Warika wma. Shot my first Rio Grande Turkey there.

Good to know. You ever Turkey hunted at the Black Kettle national grasslands? I wanted to go there last year but ended up hunting at Lake Warika wma. Shot my first Rio Grande Turkey there.
No sir, I’ve never hunted Black Kettle, but my youngest son deer hunted there a few years ago when he lived up there. Though I’ve killed a few turkeys, I’m really not much of a ”turkey hunter”. I use turkey season as an excuse to make a trip to my place to really hunt sheds and morels. I have a few nomadic turkeys that come through my place, but the population has dropped drastically over the last several years. I used to see a group of over 30 birds, but there were only about 10 this year.
I found these pictures of the sheds and morels from last year.

Attachments

• 22B1852E-12D6-4EC0-88C9-FA540E5DDD0A.jpeg
    22B1852E-12D6-4EC0-88C9-FA540E5DDD0A.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 1A87FF58-DCE8-43E3-B038-DB01ACAECCDD.jpeg
    1A87FF58-DCE8-43E3-B038-DB01ACAECCDD.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 13
  • A8EB1C2B-A3BA-434C-AF80-950E7419CD8E.jpeg
    A8EB1C2B-A3BA-434C-AF80-950E7419CD8E.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 13
I could hunt forever here in Ohio and never find one of those unless I went to the zoo. Would be a bit easier to spot than a whitetail deer antler but with all the snow up there they could be buried and difficult to see. Nice day of hunting, did not realize they dropped this early.

I like to find both antlers and sponges but the latter are better eating.

Shed Hunting is a Big deal around here, Many of these folks have Trained Dogs for finding them. I know guy’s here that use Snow Machines & Dogs to get out earlier ahead of others, To popular for me! I find one now & then by chance, But i have never went out amongst the Crowd specifically looking for them

Here in Indiana our deer have started to drop their antlers as well.So in a couple of weeks I am going to have my brother take me out and do some shed hunting.There was a nice 12 point buck we saw but escaped,so I'm hoping to find his sheds to see exactly what he was.

I killed a half rack this year, I’d shout if the other side is found.

I picked up a mice on that came off a buck I've been watching for a few years. Most deer down here won't drop theirs for a while yet, the only reason this one did is because somebody tried to blow his back foot off

Like Lewis, I don’t go out looking, but do find one or two a year just while out hunting. I have found a complete set one time, they were laying right on top of each other. My future son in law is an avid shed hunter and hikes miles and miles every spring out looking for them.
Where my wife is from, there are some outfits that come in there with migrant workers and dogs just to find the elk sheds. I guess there’s good money in it.

No sir, I’ve never hunted Black Kettle, but my youngest son deer hunted there a few years ago when he lived up there. Though I’ve killed a few turkeys, I’m really not much of a ”turkey hunter”. I use turkey season as an excuse to make a trip to my place to really hunt sheds and morels. I have a few nomadic turkeys that come through my place, but the population has dropped drastically over the last several years. I used to see a group of over 30 birds, but there were only about 10 this year.
I found these pictures of the sheds and morels from last year.
Nice pile of bones there. Back in Connecticut, I used to hunt for the Hen of the Woods mushrooms.

Latest posts

Back