Shed hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Grandson found a 10 point last Saturday. Almost the same thing...little left of the carcass but the head was intact with the hair and hide. He said it was pretty ripe smelling so he went back to the barn and got a saw to cut the antlers and cap out. I guess that was a real gagger while sawing. A couple years back I got on stand on the opening morning and after the sun rose the breeze came up and I picked up the smell of a rotting carcass. On a mid morning stretch I found a big 9 point that some bow hunter shot bad and didn't follow up on. I took a saw the second day of the season and cut the antlers out before leaving the hill that evening. I think a lot of nice deer are lost and wasted each year.

True, I hate to admit that I have lost several deer over the years. I like to think that they survived the arrow hit but I'm sure that they died.

My youngest son shot this buck on December 31 at my place in NW Oklahoma and lost him due to darkness and snow, and he got a text from a guy that hunts the neighboring property yesterday that he found him. The buck ended up not going very far, but he did cross onto the neighbors place. This has given my son some closure.E95FBB9C-3EF7-410F-B760-FE1125697687.jpeg1D79B1E0-6EE3-4734-973B-9FC656BF0FD2.jpeg[

Back