Shims

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twild

Reaction score
I've got 2 Leigh breech pulgs I need to shim. The primers fall out easy and are just alittle dirty. Wondering if anyone has a few of the shims they would like to sell. Probably only need acouple of the undersize ones to test and maybe 4 of the 5 and 2 of the 15 of the .248 ones . I really think one of the 5's in each plug will be all that is needed but not positive. Thanks

I could send you 4 of the .005 x 1/4 shims if you like. No charge. PM me your address.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

There is a real easy way to figure out how much shim you need.

Use an unloaded rifle. Measure your primer. Insert primer and fire It in a safe direction. Remove primer. Measure fired primer.

The primer cup will back out of the battery cup on a primer only fired primer, thus exposing the length of your excess headspace. Just measure, and do the math.

Subtract the length of pre-fired primer from the post-fired primer. That measurement will be your excess headspace. You may want to add around 0.003"-0.005" for a slight crush fit. The camming action of the Knight bolt will easily crush primers, so sneak up on your measurement, so you don't over compress your primers. Different primers have different lengths, so determine the average length of your chosen primer before hand.

WV Hunter said:
Have you tried W209's? Most of my Knights they work perfect, no shim needed.

Yes I have it is all I've shot with these plugs. Some of the time they come out clean and sometimes they are alittle, and I mean alittle dirty. Like 1/4 of the primer about half,2/3rds of the way up. So in my mind it won't take much to fix it, but I also don't want to over do it with something I can't get back out. Which is why I wanted afew of the undersize shims to try.

Re: RE: Re: Shims

twild said:
WV Hunter said:

Yes I have it is all I've shot with these plugs. Some of the time they come out clean and sometimes they are alittle, and I mean alittle dirty. Like 1/4 of the primer about half,2/3rds of the way up. So in my mind it won't take much to fix it, but I also don't want to over do it with something I can't get back out. Which is why I wanted afew of the undersize shims to try.
The sticky " shiming 209 breech plug", at the bottom of post # 1 explains how to install the permanent shims without using the undersize shims. I have removed the permanent shims with a modified dental pick. Hope this helps. HC

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

twild said:
WV Hunter said:

Send me a PM with an address I can send some .241 shims

sabotloader said:
twild said:
WV Hunter said:

Send me a PM with an address I can send some .241 shims

Sent Thank You

Back