Shiny Pretty Garbage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3876.JPG

To me it is weird how garbage looks so nice.........? All the primers came from this breech plug. Photo shows the socket untouched after five shots

IMG_3875.JPG

Just for fun, I've tested primers that were left in my pocket and went through the wash... All fired.

I think those are cleaner than my unfired primers. What brand of primer are you using?

Those are W209, Winchester shotgun primers. They came from a case of 5000 purchased when Obama was elected so for to keep me in primers if there was a run on shooting supplies.

Hey Scott, nice clean pile of what looks to be Winchester777 primers fired in a Knight rifle. What i find interesting is all Omega i have shot, and all Omega breech plugs marry up, and have virtually the same exact head space. No head space work by the shooter required, just provide primers that will 'crush'.

TC hit a home run with that gun . Back then TC tolerences were pretty darn good.

Do you have to sort through very many primers to get .301 or longer?

What load are you shooting ?

Ron, i actually had very good luck with the Lehigh plugs and 4 rifles. All of these rifles would also shoot the WinT7 primer just a clean as a Win209. I never shimmed any of them.
1 Elite 45
1 DISC Extreme 50
1 Green Mountain 54-120
1 Knight LRH assembled from parts

FOR ME,

A Mountaineer i had, didn't need shimming; provided a great seal with plenty of crush. A Disc Extreme benefited from a new bolt, and then provided a good seal. The UltraLight i have, it has been necessary to shim the breech plug so that the primers get a bit of crush, thus make a good seal. A 45 Elite didn't have enough crush, and didn't make a good seal.

Seems, only one of four of my Knight rifles sealed good without modification.

TC hit a home run with that gun . Back then TC tolerences were pretty darn good.

Do you have to sort through very many primers to get .301 or longer?

What load are you shooting ?

Just now, i found 18 primers longer than 0.301", and 8 primers shorter than 0.301" going through a new box.

The load i been shooting lately is 90g Blackhorn, 250g Deep Curl, crush rib sabot, and the longer W209 primers.

More Garbage

upload_2019-1-24_15-2-0.png

The pile is several outing shooting short primers; the primers culled, and Federal 209A primers. Photo shows they are nice, and clean. Both the 209A, and the short W209 are too short to make a good seal in the Omega factory breech plug. Photo shows an o-ring in the primer socket; this makes a perfect seal possible. However the o-ring won't fit in the factory plug. One needs to make the primer socket deeper. This was done using a 0.243" end mill shown.........

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

This morning went up, and shot the target using the plug with the o-ring. Bitter cold. First shot from a cold shiny, squeaky clean barrel..

IMG_3921.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-24_14-48-10.png
    upload_2019-1-24_14-48-10.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2019-1-24_14-57-35.png
    upload_2019-1-24_14-57-35.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 1
Ron when you say short...approx how short? I guess I've been lucky, my X7 has given me clean W209's every time. Granted I'm still on my first 100 pack of primers with it. I just pull em out and shoot, haven't measured any of them. I need to shoot my Dream Season and see how it does.

........... how short?.......

Mike, well i am calling primers less than 0.301" short. However it very well may be, primers longer than 0.297" will make a good seal. It does depend on how tight one's Omega action is set. Me, i just like the primer to be too tight rather than too loose.

I just recently bought a CVA Optima V2 LR. Im also shooting 90 gr, volume, of BH209 with a Fed 209A. The "nipple" end of my breech plug looks like it's been colored with a black sharpie along with the breech plug face of the action... The Fed 209A's do not fit tight in the breech plug. I haven't tried any different primers yet, due to just getting the rifle.. Think it'll make any difference??

You dont need to shim a CVA plug. CVA sells shims for the firing pin bushing instead. They are about $6 for the shim set from Carlos at Ed's Gunshop in NC.

Or you can buy them directly from CVA for $7
http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=504

Its better to bring the bushing closer to the primer than vice versa. More primer will stay in the plug instead of pushing it out.

Latest posts

Back