Shooters World Multipurpose Black 3F Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years i've used Pyrodex, Triple Seven and all the APP manufactured powders. Most of my shooting is currently with Black MZ and Pyrodex. Recently i've been checking out the Shooters World powder. The Shooters World powder is a little finer than Black MZ and the smell is different.

Began with two 3" bullseyes on the board at 50 yards. My .50 Encore was loaded with 100 grains of powder under the 250 grains SST bullet in the crush rib sabot. i fired one five shot group with Black MZ, the other five shot group with Shooters World. Both groups were inside the bullseyes. The rifle report was about the same with both powders but Black MZ made more smoke. Repeated the test at 78 yards with the same result.

Like the other APP powders, Shooters World cleans up nicely using tap water.

The description says “virtually non- corrosive”. Comments on that?
I would not put money on it . If and it’s a big if it’s like Black MZ I would say no .MZ was not anything like real Bp or Pyrodex however according to the sds sheet it did have perchlorate in it meaning the fired residue no matter how small is hydroscopic. I want to see grain uniformity and how it measures volumetricly before I pass judgement but personally I’m treating it like it’s corrosive cheaper that way.

however according to the sds sheet it did have perchlorate in it meaning the fired residue no matter how small is hydroscopic.

All the black powder substitutes, including BH 209, contain potassium perchlorate. The scant residue of Black MZ and Shooters World cleans up quickly using tap water.

Shooters World powder is finer than Black MZ.

Not sure where to get it. Gone at Graf's now. Dang it, waited too long.
Durn, gone at Graf's you say. Bad news for us then. I have gotten in my 6 cans of Graf's 3 f Blk. I did not have my piggy Bank topped off with saving yet. Will be another 60-75 days before i can come up with the funds for another 6 cans of that

i picked up another 3 lbs today is going for 23.99 here. I really like it so far.
Just pick up my first lb of it yesterday at my local Scheels
here in WI. They had it priced the same as pyrodex at 26.99. Can't wait to try it out this summer. Also were
finally fully stocked with blackhorn.
Been a couple years since I seen it
on their shelves around here. Price
was $70-80. Don't remember which, just glanced at it and went nope. Glad I use pyrodex.

Just pick up my first lb of it yesterday at my local Scheels
here in WI. They had it priced the same as pyrodex at 26.99. Can't wait to try it out this summer. Also were
finally fully stocked with blackhorn.
Been a couple years since I seen it
on their shelves around here. Price
was $70-80. Don't remember which, just glanced at it and went nope. Glad I use pyrodex.
Could it be the price that’s keeping it on the shelves, 10 bucks per ounce is tough to swallow, I’m not cheap but I refuse to pay that when other good powders are available at much better prices.and swabbing between shots is not a problem for me

Tried the SW MPB today. I give it two thumbs up so far. Similar energetically to 777 but WAY easier to load. Very little crud after 3 shots. Seemed like a similar amount of fouling but much softer. Was able to load 3 easily before swabbing. Can't say the same for 777.

Tried the SW MPB today. I give it two thumbs up so far. Similar energetically to 777 but WAY easier to load. Very little crud after 3 shots. Seemed like a similar amount of fouling but much softer. Was able to load 3 easily before swabbing. Can't say the same for 777.
What primers did you use?

Back