Shooting CVA Wolf first time before cleaning or testing with Primers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balkoth89

Reaction score
So I have all of my supplies for shooting my CVA Wolf rifle; Barnes T-EZ sabots, 209 primers, White hots, breech plug grease and a bullet-starter. However my cleaning supplies have not yet arrived and although I will wait until they arrive to start using the rifle, I am just asking out of curiosity:

I unscrewed the breech, looked down the barrel and saw no residue or anything the manual or tutorial videos said to watch for. I don't know if some kind of factory-chemical coating would be visible.

1) Could there be any problems with my first shot if I just load and shoot the gun without using cleaning wipes for inside the barrel?
2) I will fire two primers before loading the bullet as is recommended, but what could go wrong if say, I did not test fire the two primers? Would the bullet still fire for the first shot? Could something obstruct it?

I guess I just want to understand how important these pre-shooting safety measures are, why and how much they matter.

That bore will definitely have some type of preservative in it to prevent rust while it is in storage prior to sale. If you just start shooting you will just bake it in, then it will be a pain to get it out. I personally always clean the bore on a new rifle with a good strong solvent like I use in my CF rifles, then go a round with JB bore paste to make sure it is really clean. Then use a good Synthetic oil to protect the bore. After that just a damp patch, then dry patch, along with a couple primers prior to loading. The rifle is an investment so it pays to take good care if it. Muzzleloaders are not as forgiving as a CF rifle in that regard.

I will echo the above. Critical to remove the shipping preservative prior to shooting. Just run a few solvent soaked patches follow by drying patches.
Walk

Back