Shooting supplies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just texted my buddy 1000 cci250 primers sold in auction for $195.00. Still have to add 10% for the auction fee and 6% tax. He said he was at the local gun store looking for some items and there were a minimum of 100 people in line to buy a gun. Now these are small rural towns folks where everybody knows everybody. Seriously , the whole town is 4 blocks by 4 blocks. 1 store that sells everything you need. He sent me another text 9MM hollow points going for 2.00/each in the same auction I was watching.

I can walk into a small local gun store and buy 9mm ammo, both fmj and carry ammo any day, as well as pretty much anything else I want. Big box stores on the other hand have next to nothing. I don’t know about primers though, I haven’t been in the market. Plenty of handguns in stock too.

Small local gun store by me had cars lined up a block or more just trying to get into the store. My son went to Cabelas yesterday to buy boots and said all the racks and shelves were the pistols, rifles and shotguns were empty. 😩

Small local gun store by me had cars lined up a block or more just trying to get into the store. My son went to Cabelas yesterday to buy boots and said all the racks and shelves were the pistols, rifles and shotguns were empty. 😩
Pretty much the same way around here. Insane. 😑

I went into the Post Falls Cabelas a couple days ago, what a joke! Since Bass Pro took over it's nothing but a glorified clothing store. The gun library had 25% of what it used to. The restaurant was now a section for clearance cloths. Like everyone else the ammo and reloading stuff was in very short supply. But LOTS of yuppie cloths!

I was at my Sportsmans Warehouse with a buddy that was picking up a new shotgun today. We had a 45 minute wait just for him to pick it up having to take a number and wait. And people were lining up behind us with their numbers to purchase or pick up. We were there pretty early too.
There are a few .22 pistols, single action types in the displays, and a few high end pistols $1000- $3000. A bunch of rifles starting at around @550, No .22 rifles, A few cheap $240 shotguns and the rest were in the $6-700 and up range. A few BP rifles too.
The salesman and I were talking, he's worried about the upcoming administration and how it may affect his livelihood.

Buy anything you want or think you may want now, if it's available, forget what it costs. If you think availability & prices are crazy now, you probably won't like what it will be like after 1/21/2021.

For those unaware, we in experiencing a revolution of sorts. As bad as things are now, it might be thought of as good times compared to what came later. Bills have already been drafted to ban online ammo sales among other draconian measures.

Buy anything you want or think you may want now, if it's available, forget what it costs. If you think availability & prices are crazy now, you probably won't like what it will be like after 1/21/2021.
This is sound thinking IMHO. Its only going to get worse. As I started this post last night I thought to myself I need to ration my own resources. They may not be replaceable. I pray I am wrong. But until we see how far these people are willing to go its best to be conservative with what you have.

Here in my part of Michigan 48353 I have searched for an honest 50 miles in all directions and it is the same.
"Sorry we haven't had --------- in months."
Shotgun is even getting thin by me.

Powders/Primers of any type are not available at any shops here on Long Island. You call a shop here and just start asking "do you have Hodgdon" and they stop you and say "We don't have ANY powder". Some shops are putting a sign outside that tells you what they have. No powders or primers available that I can find within at least 150 miles. BH209 has Never been available here for some odd reason so I always had to go out of state to get it or Pick it up when I was traveling out of state. I have just a little left in one bottle after testing some light weight bullets a couple weeks ago, and thought I had another bottle. Nope I was out. o_O :wall: Could not even find 777 or Pyrodex here. Found 5 bottles of 777 2F at Bass Pro in CT Saturday so I drove 1hr 45min one way and got it. They had no Smokeless or Primers in stock. So I am going back to 777 who knows what will happen with BH now that Hodgdon has their hands on it. This is way worse than when Oduma got elected. Gonna be a lean shooting year.

Just a friendly reminder...The Admins have decided that MML will not be a place to start venting about politics. We haven't had to delete too many posts to date but we are watching it closely. A couple posts above are boderline and will remain but please let's keep our forum politics free. Thank you

Buy anything you want or think you may want now, if it's available, forget what it costs. If you think availability & prices are crazy now,
Man, you got me thinking, I hate paying $9 for MZ primers, but I sure hate to burn through my brick of Fed 209s. I think I'll buy another 500 tomorrow. And a few lbs of Pyrodex or 777.

Many people here in Middle Tennessee were hunting more for shooting supplies than hunting deer starting in the November Muzzleloader season. Talked to a number of people that never made it to the woods because of no cartridges or reloading supplies. According to my dad it wasn't near this bad in WWII when most materials were allocated to the war! Currently all you can find on the shelves are 16 and 28 gauge shells.

I have three full jugs of 209 and about 700 primers. Plenty of sabots and XTPs to sling around if the spirit moves me but my guns are accurate now and stored safely. If I feel short on goodies I'll simply resist the urge to shoot paper. I don't get all whooped up over this stuff. I've taken two shots for two deer every year for over the last ten and I have enough supplies for the next ten if I make it that far.

I went into the Post Falls Cabelas a couple days ago, what a joke! Since Bass Pro took over it's nothing but a glorified clothing store. The gun library had 25% of what it used to. The restaurant was now a section for clearance cloths. Like everyone else the ammo and reloading stuff was in very short supply. But LOTS of yuppie cloths!
I use to work in the Gun Library at Lehi UT store as an appraiser for the antique firearms. Knew the Cabela brothers from years ago in Sidney. When Cabelas sold the sporting goods part to Bass Pro everything changed from your hours to wages and benefits. Cabelas stores are usually in Malls or next to one, they buy a large piece of ground then develope a mall. Once that has been done the property is leased out. Cabelas saw more money in running their business in rental property than sporting goods, (they own the property the stores set on).

At this time I retired once more, 40 years with phone company (engineer), part time mechanic/race car owner driver for Mopar Corp., appraiser for the antique firearms at Cabelas, and several other firms. After 65 years of working I think I'll hang it up.

Bass Pro went with Cabelas for buying power and as mentioned "less sporting goods and more high priced clothing". Sad deal for everyone (customer and employee).

Last edited:
I use to work in the Gun Library at Lehi UT store as an appraiser for the antique firearms. Knew the Cabela brothers from years ago in Sidney. When Cabelas sold the sporting goods part to Bass Pro everything changed from your hours to wages and benefits. Cabelas stores are usually in Malls or next to one, they buy a large piece of ground then develope a mall. Once that has been done the property is leased out. Cabelas saw more money in running their business in rental property than sporting goods, (they own the property the stores set on).

At this time I retired once more, 40 years with phone company (engineer), part time mechanic/race car owner driver for Mopar Corp., appraiser for the antique firearms at Cabelas, and several other firms. After 65 years of working I think I'll hang it up.

Bass Pro went with Cabelas for buying power and as mentioned "less sporting goods and more high priced clothing". Sad deal for everyone (customer and employee).

You have been there, and done a LOT Buck! I enjoy your Posts :lewis: You were even in Browning MT with the Engines weren’t ya? 😁

Back