Shooting the Optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. Black powder is great. I’ve never had a misfire with it. It’s pretty impossible to get locally here now so I changed to 777 ffg I do like 777 a little better. A pound lasts a little longer and it’s easier to clean up.

I can't get black powder anywhere near me so I have to order it.
I recently ordered some from graf and sons. I thought it was a good deal. Shipping was only $ 9.95 and the hazmat fee was $ 12.50.
The catch is that you have to order a minimum of 4 pounds.

Vent liner is a screw with a hole drilled through it. The vent liner replaces the flash hole. Breech plug needs to be drilled, and tapped to receive the vent liner.

One way to make them. Easier to purchase them.

Deermanok....this is great information and if you want to shoot 209 powder this is the direction to go. Eventually you'll need to replace breach plugs as they shoot out, even the 209 specific plug. The big benefit to the vent liner plug is that the flame hole is slightly larger so you get a huge injection of fire into the powder charge with standard shotshell reloading primers. Secondarily is that the liners can be gotten for around $25.00/4 pack which equates to $6.25 to replace a liner instead of over $25.00 for a 209 compatible plug, plus the liners are hardened steel and last considerably longer that the metal in a plug.

I drill and tap my own plugs to accept the common Savage vent liners offered in several places. I use Badger Ridge and have been more than happy with their service. I know Ron does his own plugs. I'm not positive who it is here that offers the converted plugs and vent liners but a simple question can answer that. Jeff Fisk , the gunsmith/custom builder on site here, offers a dandy plug that uses a tungsten [I think] insert instead of the usual liner and that would be another option for you. But the liners with the slightly larger flame hole are definitely the way to go. I shoot all winter here and some days well below zero and have not had one mis or hang fire using 209 powder and simple blue box Winchester 209 shot shell primers. I also see days into the minus zero while hunting and the 209 powder is flawless as long as I do my part in keeping the flame channel immediately behind the primer pocket cleared with a drill bit after 15-25 shots. I'd suggest getting a converted plug and start enjoying that 209 powder. You won't regret it.

Latest posts

Back