Short barrel derringer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derringeer

Reaction score
Hello. I’m about to make a very small black powder derringer in cal .41. I want to make the barrel very short, and I read that derringer-barrels could be as short as 1.5” back in the days. But such a short barrel will lose alot velocity, especially with black powder that burns relatively slow.

How much velocity losses will a too short barrel generate step by step? For example, will a 2.5” barrel make a big difference compared to a 3”?

Is there any optimal barrel length in order to keep it as short as possible but without too much velocity loss? What was the most common barrel length of BP-derringers back in the days as reference?

IDK much(anything) about derringers but I'm hoping you'll post some pics as you build it, whatever you decide on.
Im wondering what the realistic range of a derringer is. 1'-10'?

My concern would be a short barrel and the fireball at the end of it even with black powder. Short barrels can get awful close to fingers.

Doesn't the pepperbox not even, really, have a barrel? I don't think of .41 as a small caliber. Especially in something as small as a derringer. I would call it respectable.

The Philadelphia Derringer and New Orleans Ace were the standby designs for BP "Derringers". They both sport a barrel just over 3"

Attachments

• IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.35.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.35.29 PM.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 2
Back