Short barrel MK 85 Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
I recently saw photos of an older Knight MK 85 in 54 caliber with what appears to be a 20" barrel. It also looked like an early Wiseman barrel with the welded on ramrod thimble so I don't think it was shortened later, altho I suppose it could have been cut off at the breach end and re-threaded but that seems unlikely. I know that Green Mt made a few of these but not sold by Knight. Have any of you seen a carbine length MK 85? If so, what would the barrel twist been? Any info appreciated.

Bill

The MK-85's with the 20" barrels were called the "Back-Country Carbine".

.36 & .45 cal, 1:24 twist, 6 groove.
.50 & .54 cal, 1:28 twist, 6 groove.

Here is some information from my MK-85 Instruction Manual. You'll have to zoom in.

IMG_20190623_171620486.jpg

IMG_20190623_171646381~2.jpg

The MK-85's with the 20" barrels were called the "Back-Country Carbine".

.36 & .45 cal, 1:24 twist, 6 groove.
.50 & .54 cal, 1:28 twist, 6 groove.

Here is some information from my MK-85 Instruction Manual. You'll have to zoom in.

View attachment 4663

View attachment 4664
Thanks Busta! I had no idea Knight made a carbine and never heard of the Back Country. Learned something new today.

Bill

Thanks Busta! I had no idea Knight made a carbine and never heard of the Back Country. Learned something new today.

Bill

You're welcome. Sorry for the creases and wrinkles, but that manual is 30+ years old. It was easier to just take a pic of the pages with my phone and post. Hope you could read what it said?

You're welcome. Sorry for the creases and wrinkles, but that manual is 30+ years old. It was easier to just take a pic of the pages with my phone and post. Hope you could read what it said?
Yep. easy read. Appreciate the info.

Bill

I recently saw photos of an older Knight MK 85 in 54 caliber with what appears to be a 20" barrel. It also looked like an early Wiseman barrel with the welded on ramrod thimble so I don't think it was shortened later, altho I suppose it could have been cut off at the breach end and re-threaded but that seems unlikely. I know that Green Mt made a few of these but not sold by Knight. Have any of you seen a carbine length MK 85? If so, what would the barrel twist been? Any info appreciated.

Bill

I own 3 mk-85's with the 20" carbine barrel, two in 50 and one in 54. They are all pretty early knights. I also have one 50 that has a 22" barrel, pretty rare. I have heard there were a few made with 26" barrels but I haven't personally seen one. They are all good shooters. I also have a 45 that is still un-fired, another somewhat rare mk-85.

I own 3 mk-85's with the 20" carbine barrel, two in 50 and one in 54. They are all pretty early knights. I also have one 50 that has a 22" barrel, pretty rare. I have heard there were a few made with 26" barrels but I haven't personally seen one. They are all good shooters. I also have a 45 that is still un-fired, another somewhat rare mk-85.
No wonder the Carbines are rare--- You own them all. One of them, barrel and receiver only sold on Ebay yesterday for $65 plus shipping. Let me know if you ever want to sell the MK 45 cal.

Bill

If in decent shape that sure would have been a good buy on ebay.

Back