Short Barreled 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifty

Reaction score
:D I just found in my stash of junk a 50 cal 1-48 twist barrel that i can get about 24"s of good bore out of. So i was thinking of making a little Leman look alike short tree stand gun with it.May shoot conicals what think you.

had 2 of them with 18-19 in barrels still have a .54, total gun length is 35 3/4 in long. Great for tree stands or hunting thick stuff.
Middle gun is a T/C Renegade with barrel rebored to .54 by Bobby Hoyt(I cut barrel down due to pitting when it was a .50) and top gun is a Investarms Hunter carbine in .45 with 20-21 in barrel.

2zq4epj.jpg

That little Renegade looks pretty neat Dean :yeah: Have you ever done any Chronograph work with that one? Did you stay with the 1:48 Twist after the Re Bore?

Hey that little gun on top looks close to what i had in mind . I would be interested in chrony results also,i don't have one my self.

Lewis,
I've got a chrony but mainly use it for my recurves and air rifles never have chrony any muzzleloaders..
I believe Bobby Hoyt told me he did the barrel in 1:26 twist but wont swear to that just told him I wanted a twist that would shoot big massive conicals well, 535 gr and up.

Idaholewis said:
That little Renegade looks pretty neat Dean :yeah: Have you ever done any Chronograph work with that one? Did you stay with the 1:48 Twist after the Re Bore?

I don't know if my numbers would help you much if yours is a .50 as the top gun is a .45 and the other is a .54 but if I get around to it will try to get some numbers in near future.

shifty said:
Hey that little gun on top looks close to what i had in mind . I would be interested in chrony results also,i don't have one my self.

I had some dealing with a gentleman on gun broker and I told him that I was a big fan of the TC White Mountain Carbine. He sent me these pictures of a muzzleloader he put together. Stock from a White Mountain Carbine, lock and tang from a Elite, trigger with guard from a Grey Hawk, shortened stainless Green Mountain LRH barrel, TC stainless sling swivels and a TC Scout style scope mount.

He told me he could sell me a barrel so I could make one, I said why don't you just sell me your gun ? Or course he said you wouldn't have the fun of finding the parts needed and putting it all together.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    880.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 002 (1).JPG
    002 (1).JPG
    890.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 003 (1).JPG
    003 (1).JPG
    939.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 004 (1).JPG
    004 (1).JPG
    951.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 005 (1).JPG
    005 (1).JPG
    955.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 006 (2).JPG
    006 (2).JPG
    925.5 KB · Views: 26
He probably told what he used for recoil pad but I don't remember. He has been a very serious collector of TC products for many years. Not many people have an extra Elite laying around to use as parts.

Back