Shorty .54 Renegade new sight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was sitting here bored and had a idea, took some old scope mounts and tried to match them up with hole pattern from mounting holes of old see thru mounts that were on Renegade.. after about a hr of fiddling found a set from a old CVA Musket Mag that had a scope on it..cleaned up holes with alchohol then loctited mount screws..put a Burris Fastfire III on it should now will be a killer close range gun...20220108_184917.jpg

not too worried about weird as long as it hits where I'm aiming, it already had holes drilled in it so might as well use them. My eyes are getting to where open sights just blur together if I look at them more then a few seconds so this is a good quick on target solution.. dont care about being traditional.

I hear you on the sights getting/being blurry! Cataracts starting for me in the dominant eye (right) and astigmatism makes it hard/near impossible to use open sights, never could get a peep to work for me so its been rifle scopes. I tried the Fastfire Ii but because of the astigmatism, the dot looks like a flaring star.

Was sitting here bored and had a idea, took some old scope mounts and tried to match them up with hole pattern from mounting holes of old see thru mounts that were on Renegade.. after about a hr of fiddling found a set from a old CVA Musket Mag that had a scope on it..cleaned up holes with alchohol then loctited mount screws..put a Burris Fastfire III on it should now will be a killer close range gun...View attachment 18648
What’s the dot size? Should be good for a hundred yard gun if the dot isn’t the size of a basketball…

I like it! You don’t see that every day!

I have a really bad astigmatism also, as long as its not on brightest setting can see it fine.
3 moa dot
Ed yes I cut 5-5.5 inches off barrel and sent to Bobby Hoyt to bore out to .54 and put twist to shoot big heavy conicals, 1:26 I think he told me but cant remember for sure.
Lou I used the front scope mount holes that had been put in barrel by previous owner.. you could use the rear sight holes if wanted though.

Now I like it even more, hearing how you made it that short and the 1:26

Years ago Cabelas sold a 54cal fast twist carbine made for them by Investarms. It was a 1-24 twist with a 20" barrel IIRC. Im pretty sure the rifle is still listed on the Investarms website too.

:2cool:
Thanks for sharing. I’d be interested in a range report…
I might try shooting 1 day this week supposed to warm up to 40 deg, it was accurate with open sights and 535 gr No Excuse and 80 gr of Goex 2f I believe have to look at notes.. what I can tell is with that load it will bust your knuckles every time you shoot it, dont care how tight you hold it.
I cut the curve finger guard off and before I did it about broke my finger on a couple of shots then I put a piece of foam on back of guard and it still hurts. Might try a glove w/fingers cut out, it sure makes you anticipate the shot.. Ive never had a gun couldnt hold on to but this one has bruised my fingers till I can hardly bend them:)

Years ago Cabelas sold a 54cal fast twist carbine made for them by Investarms. It was a 1-24 twist with a 20" barrel IIRC. Im pretty sure the rifle is still listed on the Investarms website too.
I had the same gun in .45 and 1:20 twist killed a couple deer with it, was real accurate with Eds Gould conical.

I looked around for one of them in 45cal but never found one. Wasnt even sure if they were 1-20 or 1-24 like the 50 and 54s.

I might try shooting 1 day this week supposed to warm up to 40 deg, it was accurate with open sights and 535 gr No Excuse and 80 gr of Goex 2f I believe have to look at notes.. what I can tell is with that load it will bust your knuckles every time you shoot it, dont care how tight you hold it.
I cut the curve finger guard off and before I did it about broke my finger on a couple of shots then I put a piece of foam on back of guard and it still hurts. Might try a glove w/fingers cut out, it sure makes you anticipate the shot.. Ive never had a gun couldnt hold on to but this one has bruised my fingers till I can hardly bend them:)
Dean
I have a renegade that I put a 58 Colerain 1-32 twist barrel on. I am damn glad that I removed the steel butt plate and replaced it with a Decelerator pad. 620 gr. maxi ball and 110 T7 2F. I only shot that load twice.

Latest posts

Back