Shots per year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shots per year

• <100

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • >100

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

03mossy

Reaction score
There was a discussion on another post that got me curious. Who here shoots more than a 100 shots out of their muzzleloaders per year. Most guys I know personally fire 2 or 3 rounds down range after the firearms season and call it good if their on good enough to kill at 50 yards. Personally in a normal year I shoot well over 100 but not this year do to family commitments.

* To the gentlemen in the other discussion I’m not taking sides lol just wondering.

Now that they are sighted in I only shoot enough to verify each year that they are still that way, so way under 100.

When getting a new muzzleloader, I may shoot a 100 rounds to find a good load and two or three range trips shooting to verify that it is repeatable.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I resight all of my ML for my grandsons every year and then I have them shoot them to confirm they are on do them.

Wow Ron 10lbs. I thought going through 2 lbs a year was a lot.

A few years back I would buy myself a 25lb. case of GOEX every year for Christmas and shoot it up over the following year. But I no longer shoot much in the heat of the summer. So a case will last two years these days. Twelve pounds times 7000 grains per pound, divided by an average load of 85 grains, equals 988 shots per year.

I enjoy shooting and will take range days all year long. The average range day will involve two, maybe three and sometimes four, guns which will average about 12 shots each. I shoot the guns I hunt with even though they are sighted and not needing any tweaking. I trust the guns' accuracy, its me staying in shooting form that needs to be kept up to snuff. Right now I am playing with a jug of 209 which I just opened and its #4 since Feb.

Being a degenerate SML addict.....Well have a new gun, sometimes more, to tweak every year. Plus just checking the POI of the regular unchanged rifles, and then the ones with different glass on board. So it's well over 100 shots. I'm still trying to dial in 2 from last year, BH 209 smokers for the son in laws and grandkids to have, those guns shoot OK for minute of deer but I want better than that. Since I don't shoot when the temp is over 70F due to excessive volume of flying varmint attacks and tick, chigger and serpent interaction my range time is kinda compressed to late September to May. So it's in the range of 300 minimum to over 500 shots yearly. I do shoot a lot of home cast sabot boolits and that keeps much of the expense down.

Stay safe and good luck to all. W

Approx. 4+pounds a year with the approximate load 115 grains say roughly 250 shots a year.

rangerod said:
I shoot between 100-150 rounds a year when weather isn't hot. Lots of times the range where I shoot is flooded. Like now. :x

Hear ya on that. It’s been too hot or raining here as well.
Now I’m worried if I’ll have enough time to sight in all my ML’s this year.

Doubt I will make it to the range this year the way this weather has been all summer. I usually shoot a few rounds after my guns are zeroed in just to be sure. Last year I helped my BIL to shoot an get his guns on paper an making groups, so we probably shot more than usual.

Last year I pulled the trigger twice on the White S91 .451 and killed two deer, and same with the Optima V2 rifle, four deer with ML's, so I'm not worried. My only range is in WV now an Florence is going right over that area so not sure how that will play out.

Never counted shots but once it cools off I try to get to the range at least once a week. About 3 to 4 jugs of BH and 1 of 777 in a year.

Try to keep a minimum one trip a month to the range. 25-30 shots at most with various muzzleloaders. Shot 25 times last trip two weeks ago. Left house with 30 preloaded charges. Came home with 25.

Right before ML season, 3-4 additional trips, maybe 15 to 20 shots with current most favorite gun(s). Prep for annual out of state November trip, another 3-4 additional trips to range with concentration on the SML, again 15-20 shots each trip. Break out barrel cooler for SML range visits, even though I shoot these sabotless. Just want to be ready for that single cold barrel shot.

Didn’t do math, but definitely north of 100 muzzleloader shots per year.

Ok, not sure if backyard mouse fart loads (5-15 grain charges) count, but will usually find a reason to pop of a half dozen or so a week without attracting all the neighbor’s attention. Great thing about larger lots. Better than dry firing and keeps squirrels on their toes.

My intentions are lately much better than my actual. The past few years I haven't done as much shooting as I'd like to. This year less than 100 for sure. Last year also. In a good year I might shoot several hundred...not nearly as much as some of you. Hopefully with time that will improve as my commitments decrease. :yeah:

Latest posts

Back