Shotshell primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yodaddy

Reaction score
I have a new CVA optima .50 with BH209 breech plug.I would like to take to the range and start working up a load for deer hunting.
I have plenty of BH209.I have many different ML primers...I.E...winchester,remington clean bore,federals,777.
but as you all know/have read by now.....
BH209 only recommends certain standard/magnum 209 primers......which i cant get...nor find....or will pay hazemat/shipping for...because i live close to St.Louis and it has a lot of sporting good stores/reloading gun shops that in typical times i can find just about what i want in person,not paying extra to ship.
I also have a few MLers that i use 777 powder and are fine with all above primers.
So.....
Im reading and wondering about some 209 shot shells ive come across.Box has no specs on it other'n made by TR products Albany,Mo and box in front of shot shell is checked.
From what ive read shot shells are fine as long as loaded tight with sabot....with risk of pushing bullet off powder,due to heavier force of shotshell primer if load is not good and tight and ive read people use them regular with BH209.
My plan will be,start with 80grn[v] 209 with 300/250 sst,300 grn scorpion funnel points,and 240 grn xtp in crush rib sabot.....and shot shell primer.
Does this sound feasible,logical.....SAFE?......or should i wait till i can find cci magnum/federal 209A?

You can always bring the Triple 7 with if the primers you have won't ignite the Blackhorn.
I just recently got a CVA Optima. I used Triple 7 as I don't have very much Blackhorn on hand, only about a half a bottle left and probably won't be getting any more any time soon.

Yea im trying to avoid any/all obstacles with powder,primer,and loads.
I fight cleaning my other 3 MLers from breech to crude ring,so i bought stainless in quest to find cleanest,easiest,least swabbing,while trying the best powders,loads,primers at my disposal.
Believe me......ive owned enough MLers to know none are easy....im just look'n easier. ;)
....id like to avoid getting it all sighted in only to find primers are finicky in cold weather etc. or shotshell pressure is to much for consistent accuracy.
Im thinking if i can find a good load for 100 yards with what i got.I am set up for multiple years and i wont have to worry about shipping,shippers,shipping containers,haz-mat,cant find no help,or any of the other 20 or so excuses i cant get no guns or ammo.😄

If you have access to LRMP primers, you can go with an aftermarket breech plug that uses them instead of a 209 primer.
I dont,took me awhile to find the shotshell primers,beside i have 2 209 breechplugs for new gun.

If you have 777 powder you could try a duplex load of perhaps 10 gr under your BH209.
I haven't needed to but I don't see it being unsafe. That should get the BH 209 lit.
Hopefully others will chime in.

because i live close to St.Louis
Did you try Grafs reloading in St Charles on 5th street? Better not to call, just pop in and see. If Grafs has NSI aka Nobel 209s...GRAB THEM. Very good 209 for CVAs.

And how close to STL?

Last edited:
Did you try Grafs reloading in St Charles on 5th street? Better not to call, just pop in and see. If Grafs has NSI aka Nobel 209s...GRAB THEM. Very good 209 for CVAs.

And how close to STL?
...yes and no.
Yes i called,no i didnt just pop in.😄
I will take your advice on pop'n in and look for nobels,thank you.
I live just outside pacific,about 35 miles[45 minutes] outside st.louis.

Ok, i go to Henges shooting range just past Valley Park when its not brutally hot. Not sure if the range is open again but it should be.

Ok, i go to Henges shooting range just past Valley Park when its not brutally hot. Not sure if the range is open again but it should be.
It is,i just left there. 😊
I was shooting my new CZ bobwhite SxS for first time at patterning range.
Im only 15 minutes from there.

Yep thanks,its very light for a 12 gauge.I bought it for dove hunting but i wont really know how it handles till i get it to trap n skeet range...as i really just checked pattern to see if both barrels hit approximately same place.They did so i checked choke patterns[comes with 5 chokes and it looks like my Bennelli chokes fit too.]
I did put on a slip on limbsaver recoil pad after awhile.I was getting some cheek slap checking out 3"mag steel shot.May have been because i was hunched over shooting rest,while seated at one of those rolling table benches.I doubt that happens standing shooting in field.
It is a handsome gun with the black chrome barrels and just enough engraving.:elmer:

Latest posts

Back