Shouldve known...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After learning how to properly rest a long rifle (out by the muzzle) and not noting any change in point of impact, I was still not happy about her hitting + 7 inches at 50 yards. It made no sense that a rifle so finely built, would be so poorly zeroed!
I just figured on aiming low. That is until I tried an offhand shot when no one else was around. My range doesn't permit offhand shooting on the rifle side...
I popped off the round I'd been hunting with and lo and behold(!) it hit +1 and smack dead center at 50 yards! Just another shining example of how bench and offhand results do not always match! In Vixen's case, it may be due to her being a petite girl. 7/8ths is a thin barrel for a .50 and she only weighs about 7 pounds.
She is, BTW, a delight to hunt with.
Live and learn...

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of resting any rifle out near the muzzle. Does this only pertain to long rifles? I have some pretty long barreled rifles (well 32” anyway, seems long to me) and the front rest is nearly the same point as my weak hand would be firing offhand.

I never did either. But after a LOT of frustration, I explained my problem to Chuck Dixon and the only question he asked was " Where are you resting the rifle?" I rest about where your hand would be when shooting offhand. He said " That's your problem. Rest it as close to the muzzle as possible."
She immediately went from smooth bore groups to what you'd expect from a rifle.
Now as far as the extreme difference in point of impact bench vs offhand, I've never seen it this extreme, it was quite a surprise. I hold the forest a bit farther out than I usually do.
But in looking at some NSSA shooters and videos from Capandball, I notice the NSSA fellas hold farther out offhand and c&b rests his rifle muskets between the lower and middle band. Good enough for me!
Haven't tried it with my Hawken yet, so I can't say if it applies to all long barrels. I'll also have to try it in my P53 Enfield.

I never did either. But after a LOT of frustration, I explained my problem to Chuck Dixon and the only question he asked was " Where are you resting the rifle?" I rest about where your hand would be when shooting offhand. He said " That's your problem. Rest it as close to the muzzle as possible."
Now as far as the extreme difference in point of impact bench vs offhand, I've never seen it this extreme, it was quite a surprise. I hold the forest a bit farther out than I usually do.
But in looking at some NSSA shooters and videos from Capandball, I notice the NSSA fellas hold farther out offhand and c&b rests his rifle muskets between the lower and middle band. Good enough for me!
Haven't tried it with my Hawken yet, so I can't say if it applies to all long barrels. I'll also have to try it in my P53 Enfield.
Think it has a lot more flex(vibration) than my Hawken /Renegades with 1 inch octegon barrels versus my 45 Kibler SMR . Removing barrel from that stock is plain scary as the barrel keeps the stock from breaking when you look at it and the barrel is long / thin (gracefull)/ and swamped ! Ed

Thanks, I wondered if it was something along those lines.

Latest posts

Back