Side dishes...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonymouscowherd

Reaction score
OK... you may be able to grill a backstrap to perfection, or have the perfect stew recipe, etc.

But while the meat is important, the sides can make or break the dish.

So what you got?

I'll offer up this tasty goodness (well, if you like onions). As a bonus it works nicely as a "main dish" for those broken people who are vegetarians or vegans, simply substitute more olive oil for the butter in the case of vegans - for vegetarians, just run with it.

Also... I don't think it calls for sufficient onions, so I go at least double if not triple the quantity called for. But that is just me.

2c water
3/4c dry brown lentils, rinsed and drained
3/4c jasmine rice
1/4 cup olive oil or veg oil
4tbsp butter
3 large onions
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

But what kind of onions? Up to you.... I prefer white or yellow (love Vidalia season) but the stronger the onion (reds...) is the sweeter it will be when caramelized.

Slice the onions up super thin, and in a large pot cook over medium to medium high heat with the oil (add salt, pepper, and garlic here as well). Adding a tablespoon or two of the butter will help with the color, but so will cooking a few more minutes.... Stir often enough to prevent burning and to keep them well mixed so they cook evenly, and cook 'em until they are a nice deep golden brown.

While the onions are busy cooking down, in a medium sauce pan add the lentils, water, and more salt/pepper/garlic. Cook over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until the lentils are almost completely cooked. Drain and save the liquid from the lentils and top back up to be 2 cups again. Rinse/clean the sauce pan real quick, put it back on the burner, and add 2tbsp oil or butter and brown the rice in it. Once the rice is browned/toasted, put the lentils in, add the 2 cups of lentil water/fresh water, cover and cook 15-20 minutes until rice is done and all liquid is absorbed.

Rice and lentils go into a serving dish, onions go on top of rice/lentils. If people don't like onions, with them just on top they will all come right off with a serving spoon. If everyone likes onions, then mixing in a good fork full or two to the cooked rice/lentils before layering the rest on top is also good.

OK... you may be able to grill a backstrap to perfection, or have the perfect stew recipe, etc.

So what you got?

I'll offer up this tasty goodness (well, if you like onions). As a bonus it works nicely as a "main dish" for those broken people who are vegetarians or vegans, simply substitute more olive oil for the butter in the case of vegans - for vegetarians, just run with it.

Also... I don't think it calls for sufficient onions, so I go at least double if not triple the quantity called for. But that is just me.

2c water
3/4c jasmine rice
4tbsp butter
3 large onions

But what kind of onions? Up to you.... I prefer white or yellow (love Vidalia season) but the stronger the onion (reds...) is the sweeter it will be when caramelized.

Slice the onions up super thin, and in a large pot cook over medium to medium high heat with the oil (add salt, pepper, and garlic here as well). Adding a tablespoon or two of the butter will help with the color, but so will cooking a few more minutes.... Stir often enough to prevent burning and to keep them well mixed so they cook evenly, and cook 'em until they are a nice deep golden brown.

While the onions are busy cooking down, in a medium sauce pan add the lentils, water, and more salt/pepper/garlic. Cook over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until the lentils are almost completely cooked. Drain and save the liquid from the lentils and top back up to be 2 cups again. Rinse/clean the sauce pan real quick, put it back on the burner, and add 2tbsp oil or butter and brown the rice in it. Once the rice is browned/toasted, put the lentils in, add the 2 cups of lentil water/fresh water, cover and cook 15-20 minutes until rice is done and all liquid is absorbed.

Rice and lentils go into a serving dish, onions go on top of rice/lentils. If people don't like onions, with them just on top they will all come right off with a serving spoon. If everyone likes onions, then mixing in a good fork full or two to the cooked rice/lentils before layering the rest on top is also good.
Dang, that sounds very tasty. Some good ole country stick to your ribs cookin right there. My fav onions are Vidalia too. It sounds like it'll make your bunghole whistle dixie too.

So what you got?

2c water
3/4c jasmine rice
4tbsp butter
3 large onions

Side dishes are what I've called girlfriends 2-7 in my younger days.

Change the jasmine to basmati its less sticky if you wanted to skip the toasting and way lower on the glysemic index. Some of the regular long grain varieties are not bad either. Top with crispy fried shallots. They are like the fried onions you use for green bean casserole. Most Asian markets sell the Maesri brand of fried shallots for $5. About $8 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Maesri-Fried-Shallot-8-8-Ounce/dp/B00L2A4MLA?th=1
Costco sells a killer basmati in a blue bag for about $10. Same bag is like $30 on Amazon.

Back