Sig Sauer romeo 5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find a few models under that name/number. Are you looking at one with a 2moa red dot? Dot size is important especially if you're working on paper at more than 25 yards. 4 and 5 moa dots cover a large area on targets and will likewise cover a large area on a deer/pig.

I have 2 power red dot with a 2.5 moa and found it hard to focus on the dot with my eyes so I went back to the Leapers scope with crosshairs.

I find a few models under that name/number. Are you looking at one with a 2moa red dot? Dot size is important especially if you're working on paper at more than 25 yards. 4 and 5 moa dots cover a large area on targets and will likewise cover a large area on a deer/pig.

I have 2 power red dot with a 2.5 moa and found it hard to focus on the dot with my eyes so I went back to the Leapers scope with crosshairs.
My wife threw the flyer away on me but I'm pretty sure it was a 2 MOA .

I found one for a good price. Does anybody else have one and what do you think of it for a pistol scope?

Forum member @jcnull2305 Knows this Optic VERY well, Hopefully he catches this and Responds, he is a Big Fan of the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 :lewis: With LOTS of Experience to Back it

Hey @deermanok , Lew told me you ax'd this question. The short answer is, "Yes," the Romeo 5 is a fantastic little optic at a great price and tough as hell. It can also be coupled with one of their Juliet magnifiers, too, if you're into that sort of thing. That's the short answer. Now for the irritatingly pedantic explanation...

I am the Commandant of a Hard-Labor Camp for gear. I am HARD on my equipment. The two primary combat optics I have are EOTechs and Sig ROMEO5s. I am currently running Romeo5s on two 9mm sub-guns, an AKM, an AK74, a stock AR Carbine, and a hunting shotgun. I also have 5 in "stock" in my LaBORatory if I should break one, which I haven't been able to yet.
IMG_20201023_144631199.jpg

I cannot underline for you how much abuse these optics get. I run them in active shooter drills, building entry and clearing - where you basically ride the weapon's receiver up against door frames as you enter - rapid vehicle exits, extractions, movement drills, outside, inside, in mud, water, parking lots, - you get the picture: they get knocked around a lot.

These little SOBs just hold up.

They have a neat feature that shuts the optic down after 5 minutes of inactivity, but immediately reactivates it when the optic detects motion. It reactivates right back to where you had it set.

Great battery life.

it can mount close to the receiver for shotguns and low-sight plane long guns. It can also mount high to co-witness with AR sights.

Here it is mounted on a Commando 9mm Sub-Gun:
IMG_20201023_144918225.jpg

... and with BUS flipped up, with co-Witness...
IMG_20201023_144931077.jpgIMG_20201023_144953667.jpg

Here is one mounted low on an AK-V

IMG_20200611_132840282~2.jpg

The only kinda issue is that, since it is a micro-dot, the field of view is not as good as on a holographic sight, like an EOTech, but I tend to mount them further back to accommodate that issue (as you can see in the pictures). Some will complain that mounting it that far back will interfere with your peripheral vision, which it can, but that hasn't been a problem for me. It's much easier to pick up a sight picture with the optic mounter further back, but different people will have different preferences.

Plus, for the price of one EOTech, you could get 4 ROMEO5s. I think I might tape one to my dog's head so I can see what he's pointed at...

close bite.jpg

I am not bagging on EOTechs. My EOTechs have happily accepted years of abuse. But they are better suited to rifles, where the added bulk will not be so noticeable. The EOTech is also better suited to an offensive weapon set up - there's no auto on/auto off feature like the Sig. The Sig is more geared toward an defensive scenario with the Auto On feature and easier movement due to it's smaller size. The Sig ROMEO5 is a just real little bastard of an optic.

That is all...

Thank you for taking the time to discuss the scope.
My thought is to possibly mount one on my CVA Optima V2 pistol.
Bass Pro currently has the Romeo 5 red dot scope on sale for 120 dollars.
I originally had an older model Tasco pistol scope on the pistol but the fine crosshairs were difficult to see in the woods.
I have the CVA fiber optic sights on the pistol now, which seems to work for me at the moment. I'll see how it goes this week as our muzzleloader season begins tomorrow morning.
Again, thanks for your time, I appreciate it very much.

jc....

Does the dot show up as seen in the picture here? With what appears to be a white dot with a red ring around it or is it a solid red dot?

@deermanok , I'm sorry, I kinda didn't answer your core question in all that drivel above. I think the field of view for that optic is too small to really be usable at arm's length, as with a handgun. You'd be better looking for a larger diameter, handgun specific red dot.

@MrTom - the dot is a simple red dot. Very useful for quick acquisition. I probably had it turned too high, so the white center is probably refraction from my phone... or the ghosts... they like to play their games.👻

Another option for exploration are the ubiquitous RMR style handgun red dots like this one:

IMG_20201023_202433388.jpgIMG_20201023_202328133.jpg

They're not huge, but the small housing does not block the field of view. Crummy picture, but it gets the point across. That one is a Vortex.

They're not going to be as tough as the others. That one in the pic has been confounded by mud and other debris. the red dot projector is not housed well, so it can get covered with debris, rendering the sight useless until you clear the blockage, but in a hunting situation, I think it would hold up well.

Those RMR sights are in their nascency, so there's improvements to be made, but they work well so long as you understand the limits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back