Sightron STAC vs SWFA SS 10x

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I got to say these scopes i got for a very fair price and the SWFA was an outright deal on sale but how to they compare? Well i set the STACs on 10x and adjusted parallax on all of them. In overcast light the STACs held their own quite well with an edge to the 4-20 due to the larger OBJ. Still really like the SWFA MIL-Quad reticle a bit better but might be a tad fine for somethings.

Turrets--Frankly i like the feel of the STACs better but the SWFA's are exposed
Weight--The SWFA is quite a bit lighter
Eye relief--They are all about the same. Around 3.9" give or take a tenth.
Build quality--They all look/feel really well made
Best for hunting---Probably the 3-16x42 if you dont mind 23+ ounces. The 4-20x50 is about the same but longer.
Parallax--SWFA hands down and adjustment is no where near as stiff. Its marked and seems to be marked really close. The STAC isnt marked
Range of adjustment---SWFA hands down...Roughly 140MOA (40 mil) total for both elevation and windage.
Size--While lighter the SWFA is longer (14") than the 3-16 because it has a built in sunshade. The OBJ lens sets about an inch and a half back in. The 4-20x50 is almost 15" long. My longest Murphy is just right size to span it. My shorter Murphy is a perfect fit for the SWFA and the 3-16x42.

I think if someone wanted a semi formal target scope the SWFA SS is going to be hard to beat for $300 or less. The sale of $200 was a absolute bargain for a Japanese made scope. The reticle is fine enough for a good view but not so fine its hard to see. Light enough that making "hunter class" wont be a problem. Feels reliable enough its not gunna let you down even on hard kickers. Biggest con is if it does and they are out of stock you might be waiting awhile for a replacement.

Out of the 2 STACs, i really like the 4-20x50 more even though its huge. Mounting on some actions could be an issue without a nice rail. Murphy rail with 2 extra slots and .870 tall rings fits sweet on my Mountaineer. Other than the total weight this will make a nice hunter and a semi formal range setup.

I dont think anyone would be that unhappy with any of them depending on what you needed.

Took some comparison pics of the STACs. The 4-20x50 is on a Mountaineer 45 with an extended Murphy and Athlon Precision rings (.860ish"). The 3-16x42 is on a Super DISC with the standard Murphy and TPS XRT rings (.820"). Will post a comparison with the SWFA SS Classic later when i find some rings i like for a good price. Probably go with Seekins lows.
c9dkvPA.jpg

7fK60aW.jpg

Optics Planet had a small sale going. Around 10% off total with my "reward bucks" so i got some Seekins 30mm lows coming (.820")

Coupon code 8DAD is still going for a few more hours

SWFA SS 10x42 next to the STAC 4-20x50. Sitting in a set of Seekins low rings. Not that many lower 30mm rings out there except maybe Farrel for about $170. I looked thru it today during a light rain at a target about 200 yards away. I would have no trouble using it at that range for big game. LOVE the reticle and the glass is great for what they cost or even a couple hundred more.
CNLlPmT.jpg

Kmvi6nA.jpg

thanks for the heads up GM54-120, yesterday I ordered the 3-16x42 s-tac with duplex to keep around here. don't know yet what it will go on as I just put a 600 dollar vx3hd 2-5-10x50 on my deer rifle. It will give me something to compare it to on 10 power. I hunt deer on fields around here and am pretty crippled up from a nerve disease called cidp, and so I stumble and fall a couple times a year it seems. this s-tac would probably be more durable than most scopes. thats the reason I went with the shorter s-tac, a little less leverage for that shorter scope to get bent.

Sightron used to make a STAC 2-10x32 but it was not as well liked. Optically they are quite good for the money and durability wise they punch a fair amount above what they cost. Its a shame only they dont offer a better MOA or MIL reticle. The one they offered in the 2-10 was more hunting oriented but the scope had some short comings.

Yesterday during heavy overcast (rainy) i got out my Razor HD LH with the HSR-4 reticle. Man has it grown on me and the glass on that scope is superb. The eye box is so easy to get behind. IMO Vortex kinda blew it with the new LHT line. A little too big and they didnt really make any improvement to the reticle other than illumination and MIL option. While a nice scope, it does not quite do LIGHT HUNTER as well as the older version. And for the price i would rather buy one of the TRACT hunting scopes with simple T-Plex.

Sightron is coming out with a new line of cheaper hunting scopes but personally i would have preferred to see a couple simple changes to the STACs. Exposed locking elevation, shorter capped windage and put some distance markings on the side focus. Add a 2-10x42 with HD glass and bring back the HHR reticle they offered. You know if they brought back a couple Blue Sky (Japan made) scopes that didnt cost a fortune they would sell. Or at least offer a more hunter friendly SIII.

Cant wait to hear you thoughts vs the HD3. What i saw IN STORE only was the HD3 will have an edge on glass and like most Loppies the eye box is pretty forgiving. Plus they dont weigh a ton. The 3-16x42 is no light weight but its still worth it IMO.

yeah I realize the 3-16x42 is no lightweight but if I fall on it and it gets destoyed Im not out too much. looking at rings for it now on midways site. ya know when I shoot my rifle even hunting I dont hold the forearm at all , just the back of the gun and so the weight of this scope will benefit my steadiness off shooting sticks or even off the bench, itll just be a touch harder to lug around is all but no heavier than my crossbow thats for sure and I tote that thing during bow season. be interesting to see what sightron comes out with like you say. its a shame they got away from the hunting scopes they used to carry, time to come full circle.

Overall you should be happy with the STAC.

The duplex is pretty good and easy to see.
Glass between 3x and 12x is very good to excellent for the money. Above 15x the FOV and eye box kind suck IMO but still within the price point.
FOV overall though is not as good as several scopes because of the longer eye relief.

As long as you are not expecting $700-1000 glass in a $300 scope its a winner. What you give up you gain back in a scope that is tougher than many twice the price or more. Its no BlueSky II but those days are long gone and outside of SWFA you wont find anymore $300 Japanese made scopes. Kenko makes the SWFA SS Classics at the same plant that made the BlueSky II and still makes the upper end Sightron line of scopes.

Ive looked thru my 10x42 even at night with just a pole lamp lighting a neighbors yard some 150yards away. The MIL-Quad is still very easy to see. The Sightron duplex is also but its a fair amount thicker. I would love to see that reticle in a STAC. The MOAs they offer are awful outside daylight hours. They are way too thin and even get lost looking into woods or shadows. The closest public range to me has these huge concrete slabs over the range to stop stray bullets. They make some horrible shadows for my aging eyes. Its been too stinking hot to go there and checkout the scopes to see how they deal with it.

gm54 thanks for all the great info, I wont be going above 12 power hardly ever, I know about the lower tier scopes not being able to use their upper limits. heck I have a weaver classic 4-16x42 that cant do that either and its a japanese made scope. just something to play with and possibly hunt with. my new leupold has a fairly thick duplex crosshair and makes it hard to get precise at 200 yds on a target dot but on a deer it would be good. been looking at rings, tps has a set of custom lows at 55 bucks that was an over run special on their site. heck they would be worth just having in the drawer.

I generally go with 10 power on the fields I hunt and even target work with hunting load workup.

ok, just ordered the tps brand TSR custom low rings at .920 to center of scope on their site, almost 65 bucks with shipping. they look narrow, front to back but they are TPS rings in 7075 aluminum. thats a good deal on 30mm rings I think. they were over runs for a custom manufacturers large order.

Its a good price on the TPS rings. Pay attention on how you tighten them. One side is hand tighten first....The side with the base clamp and a notch in the ring. Just screw them in until they stop. Level the scope and torque the other side to spec. Now torque the first side to spec.

I got my first set of TPS XTR rings at a good discount. Midway had them for about $100. SUPER nice rings for $100. Like them more than my Seekins to be honest. Only thing i hate is taking them off. They wont just pop off if you loosen the base screws. My Contessa rings do but they are too tall IMO for a rail unless you have a rifle/stock/scope that requires them being taller.

IIRC a set of Contessa Light Weight 30mm lows are about .900" and they are $84 at EuroOptics. Super nice rings for $84. Just a tad tall for a 50mm OBJ on a rail but not horrible.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Contessa-30mm-Light-Picatinny-90-Height-Rings-LPR02-A.aspx

If you were getting a STAC just for range fun or say shooting varmints its kind of a toss up. I like the MOA-3 available in the 3-16 (ONLY) better than the MOA-2 which is available in both. The 4-20x50 glass looks better to my eyes and its only slightly heavier.

This is the MOA-3 reticle on the 3-16x42
stac9.jpg

This is the MOA-2 on the 4-20x50
Sightron-S-TAC-4-20x50-SF-MOA-2.png

Gm, thanks again for all your great info! the tps lows I ordered are .925 but I have the need for the height because my face is longish and it just feels right to be there. the rings on the gun now are right at 1.0" thanks for the info on installing the tps rings also.

Yeah they tighten differently than other rings. Its really important to do the side with the index mark first. That side should have no gap between top and bottom halves. Just finger tight until the screws stop.
https://8541tactical.com/TPS Ring install.php
Notice how there is a index mark on the side with the base camp screw. Its the small line next to the hole. The other side only has a hole.
TPS_4503.jpg

No Gap when snugged down finger tight.
TPS_4522.jpg

Other side will though.
TPS_4523.jpg

Easy peasy if you follow the instructions. I bet lots of people dont because they simply didnt know they are different than other rings.

those are some beautiful rings, fit and finish etc. great instructions on the scope mounting, will be sure to do it that way. well Doug sent the scope tuesday and it came today and am sitting here looking at it. this is the s-tac 3-16x42 duplex reticle, and took it out on the deck and looked across my cow pasture 250 yds to where my pet like deer come out about every day and I have to say I am happy with the scope for sure. My first 30mm rifle scope. It is heavy and knew that going in but it's gonna help my shooting for being that way. the duplex reticle is real nice for deer hunting and is definitely not overly thin, it's just right. the crosshair is super crisp and coal black not shimery like bronze at times like so many scopes I have. It came with lense flip up caps already installed, fit and finish is very very good for a scope in this price range. The clarity reviews of some people had me a little worried until I got it in hand and stepped outside to look across the farm, I'm not worried anymore, its a steal at this money. This evening will take another look when it gets low light out there. gonna be a good match for the ruger predator 6.5CM. will keep it on 10 power which is where it is now.

I took the 3-16x42 out across the road to where I hunt to a soybean field and the sky was dark with clouds and threatening a thunderstorm. there where 5 deer in the beans including a decent buck in velvet, thin antlers though. I got to looking around with the scope and there was something I'm not sure of, it appeared that on 10 power my view was just a touch darker than my naked eye at 250 yds or so during this lower light instance. holding it in my hands of course which is hard to do real steady. now on low power settings naturally it brings in more light.

Back