Sightron STAC vs SWFA SS 10x

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this duplex reticle is absolutely wonderful in that it stays so black and crisp. I like the reticle on this better than my 2 vx3 scopes.

For me its hard to get a good idea until its mounted. Mine on 10x is almost as good as my SWFA SS. The difference is mostly in color quality. The glass is quite good for the money and better than anything Loopie offers for $300-400 or maybe more. You are paying for the durability, reasonably good tracking and a 5x zoom. When buying a Loopie you are paying for the low weight, pretty forgiving eye box and sometimes way more reticle options. Name and "Assembled In The USA" also.

IMO Sightron would have a real winner in a STAC 2-10x42 without side focus and add a exposed locking elevation turret. Bring the weight in at 20oz. Offer it in a duplex and a simple BDC reticle. They also need a nice SIII Hunter in something like a 4-16x44 if they could bring it to market for about $500. Only reason i didnt save and get one of the SIIIs on sale is i simply dont need a $600-700 6-24x50. I can get a SWFA 3-15x42 FFP for that kinda dough. Those are about the same weight as the STAC but 6x low just wont cut it for me. So the STAC 4-20x50 ended up in my collection instead.

Like ive mentioned, Kenko owns Sightron and the factories they make their scopes at. Kenko in Japan makes all the SS Classics for SWFA and Kenko in the Phillipines makes the non HD 1-4x24 for SWFA.

What i dont think i mentioned here is Sightron used to offer a SIII 10x42 with MOA turret and Mil dot reticle. It even had a rear parallax adjustment. Guess who else used to also a MOA/Mil 10x42.....Yep SWFA. ;)

Click on the picture side show for more pics.
https://snipercentral.com/sightron-siii-10x42mm/
sightron10x3-1040x666.jpg

Last edited:
I figured i would add this to the list also since its a Sightron. This will be the hunting scope on one of my Knights. Probably the GMB 54-120, for sure if i get the Ulite 45 1-20 barrel kit for it.

SII Big Sky 3-9x42 that is supposed to weigh 13.4oz. Well it dont but its not bad. Included caps are 1.3oz a pair. So just over 1lb for it all.
w51aABG.jpg

7duRBod.jpg

Vortex Pro Rings and Lehigh base. Rings are supposed to be 1.41oz each.
qGR8Bz7.jpg

Im going to double check these weights later too. Just to make sure i didnt miss something. I did this while making some lunch so was a little distracted. Otherwise its just under 21oz for rings/rail/scope/caps.

Next to my Diamondback HP it looks pretty big but its lighter by a couple ounces.
Lj6tRY6.jpg

Optically the Big Sky 3-9 is better in all regards to the STACs. Crystal clear edge to edge. Super easy to get behind throughout the entire mag range. 70MOA elevation/windage adjustment. Simple tooless zero reset. Just lift and reset the knob. No slop at all in the elevation turret and just a tiny bit in the windage. Adjustment though is a bit stiff trying to grab them low turret knobs. They are VERY clicky.

I will need to wait until dusk to compare them all on 4x and 9x but from what im seeing now it looks as bright as the 4-20x50 on a cloudy day. Not quite as good as my Razor HD LH.

The only con i can find is the HHR reticle is quite thin. The ballistic marks are TINY and so is the center dot. On 9x though im able to see them and that is where they would normally be used. I dont think i would be able to use them in very early or very late lighting conditions.

I was looking at the Sightron 8-32x56 target dot reticle to put on my Rem 700 280 AI. After viewing a video showing the target dot reticle, I could barely see them. I checked another video with the mil dot reticle. It seemed to show up better. I need to look through one with the target dot reticle and mil dot to compare. I also took a look at the 10-50x60 with mil dot. I just don't think I need that much scope....lol....
The 6-24x50 with the mil dot would probably suit my needs but I think I would like the 8-32x56 better.

Im still keeping an eye out for the old SII Big Sky in fixed. They made 2 or 3 fixed for a couple years. Really hard to find one for sale. I think total it was a 6x42 and a 10x42 but might have also made a 4x(something). I only have a couple of the old catalogs saved. They did make several nice SIIIs that were more hunting oriented. Very hard to find one of them early SIIIs.

I now have 2 Sightrons. I love the 4-20x50 on my 357 Max. I think I'm gonna love the 3-16x42 on my Scout converison.

Latest posts

Back